hi gareth

if based in tokyo i would assume you would fly haneda / sapporo [ chitose ] . jal have a good deal on at the moment called "sakitoku advanced purchase fare" example haneda / chitose for 11300 yen . its on till near the end of december but they will probably extend [ just to get bums on seats ] ?

being from oz i presume niseko is the resort , so its 2300 yen one way or 3000 yen on the midnight liner .

looking at the jal site on sakitoku fare [ fare regulations area ] , it is for everyone i think [online booking] but for limited seats on limited flights .

i did a test run on the 10 / 11 / 2009 [ nov ] and jal 503 and jal 507 are the only flights with the 11,400 yen fare , quite a few flights that day have have fares between 12000 yen and 17,000 yen , they are sakitoku fares also .

looks like you guys living in japan are in for discount flights [ maybe ] ?

yes gareth if traveling one world from perth [ qantas jal cathay ] it might be best to use the "yokosa fare" of 10,000 yen per flight or sector . if any other airline you can use the "welcome to japan fare" for 13,000 yen per sector .

now this is important , sometime in march there is a black out period on cheap flights ? must be japanese public holidays ? so check it out .

costs

haneda / chitose [ret] 20,000 y or 26,000y jal

chitose / niseko [ret] 4,600 y goodsports whiteliner bus

get out at the welcome centre top car park [ hirafu ] and walk over to the niseko alpen hotel , its 16,800 yen per night for a single in march . this hotel has a great location , right beside the ace pair and ace quad lifts .

i will be there in early march with my family , its my first visit to niseko so am really looking forward to it .

Gareth,

Check out the details on the Niseko United web page but hopefully they will have the same deals next season as this year but you can get the bus transfer and a 1 day lift ticket for 4,900yen on CHUO bus, Niseko Bus or Donan bus lines.

never know what JAL is doing, they are hopeless to deal with. Worst organized airline by far.

why bother holding out for last the minute fares that may not eventuate and you could be stuck with expensive full priced seats ?

The airpasses are a great deal and you get a confirmed seat now, why take the chance of ruining your holiday with the added stress of not having a confirmed flight ?

• 4 weeks later...

I know I am going to check with then but dose anyone have any problems with JAL when it comes to snowboards ??

I had no problem with the domestic leg with my trip but it was booked with Qantas last year

• 4 years later...

Same experience with ANA. Never had problems checking in snowboard bags, even when having booked the domestic segment separately from the international flight. In fact, I have even seen snowboards as carry-on luggage (but they were in sleeves, not full blown travel bags).

ANA has similar arrangements as JAL: Experience Japan fare if you hold an international ticket and Star Alliance Japan Airpass (basically a discounted version of the Experience Japan fare) if that international ticket is with any Star Alliance carrier.