San Carlos de Bariloche and La Hoya, Argentina Aug.2009

First time to ski in the mid of the off-season but timing was right and while Argentina's resorts have had a poor season, we got a good meter while we were there...which was just enough snow to produce the worst scratches on our skis from thinly covered rocks.

We spent 4 days at Bariloche's La Catedral; high winds and low viz prevented us from really seeing the mountain on all but one of the days. When we finally did see it, the setting was impressive. We were there to ski off-piste but ended up with a ski guide taking us around the piste...not ideal.

Why I'm not sure, but he then had us rent a car and drive 4 hrs down to Esquel to ski a day or two at La Hoya. The drive down was much better than the skiing...a very small operation, a bit like skiing in the cone of a volcanoe. We left after the first day and headed back to Bariloche where they were getting a huge dump.

Lifts were the slowest I've ever experience at both places....shudder.

A bit of fun in the off-season made me appreciate what we have here in Japan all the more.

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi

If you have pics of Japan or overseas snow, you are very welcom to upload them up to SnowJapan:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/insider/photo_gallery.php

Whether you do that, or if you just want to add a photo that you already have somewhere online, this is how to get the photo showing on the forums - just put

>

after it. No spaces. Photos need to be .jpg or .gif format.

Hope that helps.

• SnowJapan Admin

Hello Tlen

The URL you have posted above is a page, not an image.

If you go to the page and right click on the image, you will see the URL of the image. That's the one you want to use.

Thanks.

no,no, when you say Argentinian steak, think sushi, think "maguro"...you can eat Argentinian steak all day long...not the overly buttery taste of wagyu, which is good in 100g portions, Argentinian steak is out of this world good, you order 500g and end up eating twice that without thinking about it....along with the wine wink