OK JR Rail tell me that tickets for the Twilight Express from Sapporo to Osaka can only be bought in Japan and not from OS. Does anyone here know an agent that may buy a ticket for me and my wife.

It does look like it could be a fantastic way to end our holiday traveling back to Osaka.

that does look really cool ASB! 50,000 for 2 people for the suites sounds expensive, but I guess not when compared with flying. It would be a chilled way to see the beautiful coast of Tohoku. Glad to know about this train - Id like to use it some time. Dont know about tix agents unfortunately so no help.

I caught the one from Sapporo to Ueno (is that the Cassiopeia?) and just went to the station the day before to purchase the tickets. You can probably go by any large JR station office when you arrive in Japan and purchase the tickets then. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be in Sapporo. Look for the "Ticket Purchase/Seat Reservations" office.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: ausi ski bum
Still not having any luck with this, anyone know a good Japanese Travel Agent I can contact. Email preferably

An idea would be for your accommodation to purchase the tickets then send them to you and of course you can pay for them with the room or even before hand.
Originally Posted By: thursday
unless you're an avid trainspotter, I really don' see any reason for wasting time being stuck on a train looking out the windows.

I have always wanted to travel on a sleeper train, sometimes travel is to hectic, to take a slow train to Osaka has a lot of appeal. Life is made of many experiences.

hee hee

Papa was the same - so we took a sleeper train from Paris to Milan.

It sucked.

It was REALLY hot, and we couldnt turn the heat down or open the window more than a crack.

The conductor made up the beds and smashed the screen on my NEW laptop.

We paid a fortune for a crap meal we didnt eat because two of the kids and I needed to go throw up from the motion before it arrived.

Need I go on.

Over rated.

I have traveled accross Australia and return on the Trans Australian train in a sleeper cab, but I was a teenager then but it was fantastic.

What added to the adventure was a freight train derailment ahead of us and as there is only a single track across the Nullabour we had to stop on Xmas day at the town of Cook with another Trans Australian and two Indian Pacifics. They joined the three other trains to ours and the end result was the longest ever passenger train to cross Australia, five engines on the front and three on the real, I forget how many carrages but it was close to 2 km long.

Was quite an adventure. Cook BTW has about five houses and a population of 20

Originally Posted By: ausi ski bum
I have traveled accross Australia and return on the Trans Australian train in a sleeper cab, but I was a teenager then but it was fantastic.

What added to the adventure was a freight train derailment ahead of us and as there is only a single track across the Nullabour we had to stop on Xmas day at the town of Cook with another Trans Australian and two Indian Pacifics. They joined the three other trains to ours and the end result was the longest ever passenger train to cross Australia, five engines on the front and three on the real, I forget how many carrages but it was close to 2 km long.

Was quite an adventure. Cook BTW has about five houses and a population of 20

I've done that as well ASB. I've travelled Sydney to Perth and travelled down the centre from Darwin to Melbourne on those trains, a great way to see the country, sit back and watch the roos jump by. Fairly comfortable, prob better if we had a bed but we were backpacking and slept in our seats