I read they got buried slightly deeper than a meter and got dug out within 10 min.

That's great work by the rescuers and lucky... could have easily been a triple tragedy.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I read they got buried slightly deeper than a meter and got dug out within 10 min.
That's great work by the rescuers and lucky... could have easily been a triple tragedy.

And then some, they had 2 guides with them as well, so that'd have made 5 all up!

The guides were very experienced, they all knew the risks, and the searchers all had a good idea of how to find them. Add to that, the survivor was smart enough not to panic.

Sad about the one death. He was quite well known in car racing circles in Oz/NZ.

RIP
Originally Posted By: ABCnewsonline
A teenage skier has died after hitting a tree at Thredbo in the New South Wales Snowy Mountains.

The 16-year-old was skiing with friends yesterday afternoon when she separated from the group and crashed into a tree on the resort's Inner Loop ski run.

Emergency services were called but it appears she was killed instantly.

A report will be prepared for the New South Wales Coroner.

words fail me. 16yrs old.
poor kid.

further story and pic
Sweet looking kid, on a yr 11 school trip. Trajic!

Another death in N.Z today, from the N.Z Herald newspaper.......

A man died tonight after being caught in an avalanche while snowboarding on Coronet Peak, northeast of Queenstown.

He was the second person to die in an avalanche in the South Island's mountains in just over a week.

Searchers found the man about 7.15pm, and he was given medical treatment before being airlifted to Lakes District Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police said the 30-year-old man was from the Queenstown area and close family members were with him at the time of the avalanche.

Police were told about 5pm of the avalanche which was thought to have happened at the Greengate chairlift about 4.40pm.

Just to clarify the area was not on the ski field, it was out of bounds. There couldn't have been more warnings not to go out of bounds at the moment with the current conditions and a death and a near miss last week. No excuses - he shouldn't have been there (esp. without any gear)

was terrible to hear about the 16 YO girl at Thredbo on the weekend, really sad, she hit a tree and was killed instantly. I was at Perisher on Saturday and it was very crowded with some pretty fast conditions on some runs, unfortunatly those conditions do tend to increase the chances of such an event.

Our thoughts to her family, always sad to lose a skier, worse when they are so young.

ASB,

When it was first reported I didnt recognise the name of the run and thought she must have been off in some secret difficult location, but it really isnt - the run is skiers right of Ballroom in the Cruiser/Merrits area.

within 2 minutes of this:

Mamabear_3.JPG

Tragic accident, but how do you prevent something like that...

Poor kid was not launching herself off a cliff, she was in 'safe, inbounds terrain'.

Originally Posted By: Captain Stag
Just to clarify the area was not on the ski field, it was out of bounds. There couldn't have been more warnings not to go out of bounds at the moment with the current conditions and a death and a near miss last week. No excuses - he shouldn't have been there (esp. without any gear)

I was talking to a few locals about this. Apparently it's becoming more common. Dudes just wandering off wily nily.

So sad and such a tragedy that such a beautiful girl loses her life at such a young age.

Does it make you think maybe the Japanese patrol are not a bunch of little nazi's being so strict about going out of bounds - Japan has three times the amount of snow and no avalanche measures so maybe they are just trying to look after our safety?????????

It also really makes me wonder abut getting a helmet for next year.

get the helmet Snowhuntress.

It is of course a matter of personal choice, BUT, it is not about what stupid thing YOU are going to do it is about protecting you from the stupidity (and lack of ABILITY) of others.

I was knocked out by a drunken knob on ski's within a minute of getting off the lift back from Hanazono 2 yrs ago - I was most definately hurt, and had a shocker of a headache for a few days - but I did get back out and board the next day rather than be admitted to hospital (thank you Mr Helmet).

Baby Bear stacked it last year at Falls Creek and did the classic scorpion. But because he is so young and flexible his board cracked him right across the back of his helmet (would have been his head if he wasnt wearing a helmet) - there is this lovely ding in the helmet to remind us of what his head would have looked like if he hadnt been wearing it.

A few weeks back my 60yr old mother, seeing snow for the first time took her first tentative slides on Friday Flat the beginners area at Thredbo, wearing my helmet from the stack in Niseko. At the bottom in a sea of people she stopped and waiting for my Dad to come down so they could head back up for another go - WHOOMPA! Next thing she knew she was airborne - a young girls snowboarding under instruction for the first time hurtled through the crowd sending people like skittles. Mum hurt her butt and her elbow/wrist, and also ended up with a bit of a headache - her head (encased in a helmet) whacked the icy snow quite hard. She also was back out the next day.

I cant tell you how much warmer our heads are covered by helmets. Other benefits include protection from whacking your head on the safety bars on the lift when someone drops them down before you are ready, less sticks in your beanie when you go a little close to a tree, and no need to punch out the loser in front of you who swung thier ski poles over thier shoulder right on top of your head smile

thumbsup

The added bonus for parents is the more people that take up wearing helmets for snow sports the easier it is to convince kids to wear them.

On ya Mamabear thumbsup

I hope you replaced the dented helmet, sounds like he needs a new one....

My friend's son lost his memory hitting his head snowboarding... now he wears a helmet.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
get the helmet Snowhuntress.

A few weeks back my 60yr old mother, seeing snow for the first time took her first tentative slides on Friday Flat the beginners area at Thredbo,

wow good on you MB's Mum!! clap
My mum won't even entertain the idea and she is only 51. Dad has had a go though his work but says he can't get it

She's a trooper TB smile

My Dad had his first turns as well, also on skies - he is 61 and really got the hang of it in the end. It was nice because he has never been sporty other than swimming, pretty unco actually. Mum was the one who rollerskated, played squash etc - Dad was really worried before we went, but he was GREAT.

Two more converts - we are taking them, and my brother/his wife/3kids next July to Perisher.

Mum's been to the Physio this week to get sorted from her accident - and she was treated by a snowboarder who frequents Hotham/Hakuba - and HE was impressed with her too.

My family have always worn helmets, we had the kids in them very early and all of us have had cases we would have been a lot worse off without one, to us wearing the helmet is as natural as putting on gloves, its just part of the gear , its also so much easier to keep warm yet on warm days you never get hot.

Way more Aussies than Japanese wear helmets, in fact at Niseko and Rusutsu I would say the vast majority of helmets were on aussie skiers, most likely its due to the cover in Australia being so much harder but I would encourage all skiers to wear one.

It won't help in every case, unfortunatly the young girl that died at Thredbo last week did have one but it only has to save you once to be worth while.

Personally I believe that they should be compulsory in terrain parks, jumps and rails, I have seen far to many people injured in the parks including one young lady that now has severe brain damage from falling back and hitting a rail.

Go buy a lid.

its silly, the avalanche happened at 5pm! they were 1km out of bounds at 5pm, by 5pm the sun is going down and its getting dark! not only did they put them selfs at risk but they put all the rescuers at risk! they didnt find him until after 7, by 7 its pitch black! very stupid stuff! people should learn to read the signs and use common sense!