Japanese Domestic Airfares and Bookings

Looking on the JAL site it says you can only buy tickets 2 months before the flight date, is this correct, I find it hard to believe when I book tikets much further out than this any where else.

As I am booking things like car hire and accommodation etc I would feel a lot happier having the flight booked.

Another option I considered was train, is there a sleeper cab train still running to Hokkaido. Could be very romantic.

Your right, I am flying into Osaka and looked at the Twilight Express, looks a well worthwhile trip. Trouble is all the forums say it sells out fast and JR Rail tel me you can not buy tickets from out side of Japan.

Its a lot easier travling around in other countries, I am finding it is getting harder each time I visit to organises transport.

I spoke with JAL yesterday and they told me if I flew in on JAL or Qantas they could sell me a domestic ticket, I told them I was on Jetstar (a Qantas Airline) and they said no thats not recognised. But here is the interesting thing, I am on Jeststar (Star Class) because neither Qantas nor JAL fly Sydney to Osaka any more. I still earn Qantas FF Points on the trip that I can use on JAL. Wierd.

Don't trust whoever you spoke to at JAL, especially if they were Japanese. I have found that most Japanese will tell you that something is not possible if they personally don't know about it. I then often find out it's entirely possible.

• 3 weeks later...

But the original point about not being able to book 2 months in advance is one that's an uber pain in the ass. Usually its 3 months though, anytime I've tried to book a holiday using a Japanese travel agent, they have given that nice smile, sucked their teeth and said that no bookings can be made more than 3 months in advance!! what rubbish!! Every other travel agent in the world can book stuff a year in advance but not the Japanese it seems