Hello snow-japan.

I was hoping the forum may help me out. I am planning to come to Japan in the winter in to celebrate college graduation with some friends to SKI. We live in Crested Butte, Colorado right now and have been skiing their double black/extreme terrain for 5 years. Originally from icy, icy New Hampshire/Maine.

If I was able to rent a car, what areas would I want to go to for 50+ degree pitches, good billy goat lines, cliffs, tight trees- the works?

Could you tell me where I would want to go in-bounds, as well as out-of-bounds?

We are avy-savvy individuals with all the proper gear and EMT certifications and professional ski patrol experience.

Originally Posted By: josh browning

Could you tell me where I would want to go in-bounds, as well as out-of-bounds?

"In-bounds"? Well as far as the piste goes, there are no designated runs in Japan which are steep.

In bounds I do not know anything in Japan like that..........

Out of the bounds should say Back Country then based in Hakuba you will have the Northern Alps to explore. Hook up with guides and find the best lines suited to your team. Then you can do your own exploring.

Yep, go back-country in the Kita Alps (Hakuba or Myoko). There are a few guides to help you out. Steepest on-piste around here is only 38 degrees.

If it's your first trip here I'd recommend using public transport unless you're happy to drive on the left and speak great Japanese.

Umm, Josh what's going on?

3 questions over 11 months

Same question each time? - all proficiently answered each time