Last night I was taking a walk round where I live after a hard days work. Just 1km or so from my house and you are in total inaka - rice fields and not much else. There are hardly any cars come by, if any but last night this big car pulls up behind me and the window goes down. Turns out this lady, probably in her 50's wanted some directions and she was halfway through her sentence when she realised that I was a, shock horror, gaijin. You should have seen the look on her face. It's like the look some shop assistants give you when noticing your gaijin-ness x50.

I managed to explain the route to her but it was quite funny.

Any other good examples of you shocking people to the bone because of your ever so gaijin-ness?

That happens only because you are living in Inaka.

funny things don't change that much in 30 years. When I was with my friends (gaijin) we had:

Faces stuck looking into the windows of taxis we were in.

"A ! gaijin da! "

Not in Tokyo, though.

Japanese thinking he can talk by putting on a foreign accent and talk japanese...

THAT happens a lot.

People lecturing me to take good care of this visitor, and expecting me to act as a interpreter..

A shocker was being treated like a pimp and solicited when I was with a girl

Happens anywhere.

Come to think of it, a lot of people in big cities do come from Inaka to work and be cool..

I have had these experiences, but actually not just inaka but Tokyo too, but no so much.

Actually just recently had a good one, I was on my field setting some seeds, wearing the complete farmers outfit, hat and boots and all, and someone came up to me and asked me for directions actually. You should have seen his face, was a classic, He was of course expecting some Japanese ojisan, instead he gets a gaijin. Haha! Actually once he got over the shock of a gaijin doing farming, he was actually happy to speak to me!

I am living in the Inaka now, rice fields and farm land everywhere, but all the locals really don't seem to mind me, actually they are more than happy to talk to me, especially when I am out on my hatake taking care of my vegetables. I think they are curious more than anything, but I have to say so far I get on very well with the locals!