Indecent Proposal - $1m for a night with the wife

Last night I watched the movie Indecent Proposal with my guy.

Anyone seen it?

It has it's fair amount of cheese and frankly very silly bits but it was actually quite entertaining and even thought provoking at times.

Robert Redford looking ever so slightly wrinkly and offering $1m for a night with Woody's wife, Demi Moore because they say that money can't buy anything and Rob wants to test it.

Quote:
A young couple very much in love are married and have started their respective careers, she as a real estate broker, he as an architect. She finds the perfect spot to build his dream house, and they get loans to finance it. When the recession hits, they stand to lose everything they own, so they go to Vegas to have one shot at winning the money they need. After losing at the tables, they are approached by a millionaire who offers them a million dollars for a night with the wife. Though the couple agrees that this is a way out of their financial dilemma, it threatens to destroy their relationship.

Interesting position, I wonder how people would deal with that offer. I know what I'd do.

Such a ridiculous plot, that movie.. As the American's say, $ talks BS walks... Why wouldn't anyone other than a rich oil arab not do a one night stand with rubbers on for a Mil.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
True, HS.
No one in the right mind will offer anyone a Mil. Unless he has 1 BiL.

He was a billionaire. That was the point - he wanted to demonstrate that "money could buy anything".

Many people are already sold.....

The bank owns them.

If you are in the military, the goverment owns them.

Some people are good at re-selling themselves many times over..

If you have multiple personality, who owns who? razz

There is a difference between owing a debt and being a sold person Jynxx.

We happen to have borrow a signifigant sum from the bank for the conduct of our business/ expansion etc (and in the early days for the house) - but I would not say they own us. In fact - when 'which bank' gave us grief and wanted us to jump through thier hoops we gave them the flick and took our business elsewhere.

You are never OWNED by another person. They might pay for your services, but even in the extreme circumstances of slavery people have demonstrated thier individual strength and courage to be thier own person and make choices for themselves.

It could be an illusion that one is in control....

That means one still have choices to service one's debts.

I think being sold - the sentence implies something like a loser, or have negative vibes

I could have said - a bought person.

Buying into a game or system of money. Doesn't matter.. sold on the system, bought, service debts.... still, debts DO own you

no they dont.

It is a choice.

I could easily sell up, pay out the debts and start working for someone else. Does that mean I am sold to them. NO. I will have sold my services/work to them - an exchange of my skills/labour for cash payment.

As a self employed person I pay the bank an interest charge for what they have loaned me to conduct my business. Do they own me? Hell no! In fact the bank is pretty darned chuffed that we have chosen to borrow from them as we are great customers that have never defaulted - they want our business - so it is a symbiotic relationship ... not one of inequality where one is a master.

Ah, so you are not in debt.

Then the debt does not own you, you don't owe anyone who has control in your future.

As I said, Even if you have accumulated debts, if you can convince the creditors that you can service them, you have wealth.

Still you have obligation, and until that is full filled, you have no real choice but to service them or pay up in full. You have the choice to do so, but I say that is in itself an illusion, because you might one day go down. Bust !

In some societies, bankruptcy is not so bad. In a country like Japan, it could be the whole family forced to suicide.