Education-What's it really worth?

Ma'bear you are doing great ! Just simply taking an interest in the kid's daily stuff gives them support and motivation to get it right. I mean even by voicing things to you, they can organize and find a way to learn in their own way. They are not expecting answers from you (if they are, encourage them to try and find out and tell me what you find out attitude give them motivation). They shoudn't be looking for a quick answer. If only they can see the process of their own thinking... Some people actually get to this point quite early... Some people regardless of their expertise being in science, education, medicine, religion, what ever never gets it in their life time. Some become aware that they are not aware and really try to learn their ways. Some don't understand the word AWARE other than it is a word in a dictionary and can use it.

There are plenty of sarary- man, salesman, army drill type of bonehead teachers out there who can't motivate, teach. MY way or hit the highway types. Teaching is all about students. Not about teachers. Proof is out there...

If you are not motivated and interested, you will never keep it in your head.

That's ok. Then there are methods to study, sole purpose of passing exams.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mantas, you might actually enjoy doing year 4 and beyond stuff with your kid.

My word of advice. "Let's try and learn this together, kid. They might have found out new things in the last so many years..." would be cool for your kid. Kid's don't want and expect parents to be teachers. Hard life for teachers who have their own kids, perhaps.

Lot's of teachers don't admit to what they don't know and feed them some old BS. Some idiots still believe that there is Centrifugal Force in physics. Remember people didn't believe there is a Black Hole 30 years ago. And a lot of people have been educated then and still think that the world have not changed teaching the same old stuff.

You actually have a motivation and opportunity to re-learn and un-learn when you have a kid. That's cool

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Year 4 home work is already getting complicated for me. Time to blow some cobwebs off the old brain cells.

Yeah I went to add 2 fractions today and it took a little thought to remember how to do it. Scary! To think I did maths and physics right through uni!!
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Mantas, you might actually enjoy doing year 4 and beyond stuff with your kid.
My word of advice. "Let's try and learn this together, kid. They might have found out new things in the last so many years..." would be cool for your kid. Kid's don't want and expect parents to be teachers. Hard life for teachers who have their own kids, perhaps.
Lot's of teachers don't admit to what they don't know and feed them some old BS. Some idiots still believe that there is Centrifugal Force in physics. Remember people didn't believe there is a Black Hole 30 years ago. And a lot of people have been educated then and still think that the world have not changed teaching the same old stuff.
You actually have a motivation and opportunity to re-learn and un-learn when you have a kid. That's cool

Kids (little kids) seem to think that you know every thing. They have asked me all sort of funny questions. They even get a little shocked when you tell them "I don't know". Usually when this happens I will sit down with them on the good ol internet and find the answer.
Lots of teachers don't admit to what they don't know and feed them some old BS. Some idiots still believe that there is Centrifugal Force in physics.

Now, that is in your area of study (or at least one of them, if I recall) and you quite possibly understand it a lot better than 99% of the rest of us. However, that does not make those who Do believe it exists idiots! It makes them older people who were taught that, because at the time it was considered to be correct, and have not needed to update their knowledge in that area.

Nothing is gained by calling people with lesser understanding than you have (in what is, really, a minor matter) idiots.

Centrifugal Force - now there is a phrase I can confidently say I have never heard once since I left science class for the last time in 1994.

oh yeah ....just noticed. maybe you can be stick and sick at the same time.

I work in the mornings at the local school, all of the classrooms are open rooms - ie no doors or walls.....anyone else have these?

Originally Posted By: Mantas
So when you ride the Rotor at Lunar Park and stick to the walls, what do they now call the 'thing' that makes you stick?

Explained by inertia, friction and centripetal force. Don't ask me for the formula though...

Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that has helped explain what we the observer sees but doesn't really give any understanding of the actual physics involved.

Check out these terms:

centrifugal acceleration

centripetal force

You might find this the " ah! " factor... new homework for you guys... razz lol

I hope to convey my point by using the above example as a fallacy of those "teaching experts" just because they have been doing it for 30 years and have a teaching diploma (yeah, just a 1 year dip.ed ) and haven't bothered to learn more whether it's about teaching itself, new knowledge, or the so called real world ( teachers should ideally take some time off periodically and do some work experience themselves) ..

Professional teachers have a "duty of care". One of that is you provide the student with the best available knowledge. Imagine if you are a Western trained doctor, and a patient who knows more about you rocks up and you are still treating people with something "outdated ".

So, those teachers deserve to be called IDIOTS. Have we really advanced from those medieval times when people thought "the world is flat". Even having to know new knowledge like Darwin's evolution but still deny and teach intellectual design just because it is a personal belief without presenting it as an option or a comparative culture?

All I can say is, man I was lucky I didn't chance to have these Idiots as my teachers except one at school.

Have we really advanced from those medieval times when people thought "the world is flat".

Mate you know we haven't really advanced that much. People are still just as ready to suspend rational thinking (if they can think rationally at all that is). In fact I find that the vast bulk of people just don't really like to think about anything too much at all. The fact that people still believe in gods, in ghosts, in ridiculous things like astrology, etc, etc just goes to show how little we really have advanced.

I hope to convey my point by using the above example as a fallacy of those "teaching experts" just because they have been doing it for 30 years and have a teaching diploma (yeah, just a 1 year dip.ed ) and haven't bothered to learn more whether it's about teaching itself, new knowledge, or the so called real world ( teachers should ideally take some time off periodically and do some work experience themselves) ..
Professional teachers have a "duty of care". One of that is you provide the student with the best available knowledge. Imagine if you are a Western trained doctor, and a patient who knows more about you rocks up and you are still treating people with something "outdated ".

So, in 1964, when I was at school, the teachers were idiots? Quite simply, you are talking through your @rse again! At that time, the centrifugal force concept was accepted by most people both in and out of the physics arena. Any teacher of Physics, nowadays, who taught centrifugal force as a fact would be (quite rightly) laughed out of the job. However, it was not always thus. As you, yourself said, the "best available knowledge".
So, those teachers deserve to be called IDIOTS. Have we really advanced from those medieval times when people thought "the world is flat". Even having to know new knowledge like Darwin's evolution but still deny and teach intellectual design just because it is a personal belief without presenting it as an option or a comparative culture?
All I can say is, man I was lucky I didn't chance to have these Idiots as my teachers except one at school.

Anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot? Right? That must make me an idiot, then. And proud of it!

Really calling people IDIOTS is rarely called for.

It is appropriate when the behaviour of someone is so ridiculous and against logic as to warrent the use of the IDIOT term....such as the bellyflop video in another thread currently doing the rounds.

It may also be appropriate in the situation where faced with compelling evidence to the contrary a person holds on to thier outdated and irrational beliefs.

It is not appropriate to call people whose knowledge is unknowingly outdated IDIOTS, as they are able to learn the new information once it has been pointed out to them. In the case of educators - yes I agree - people should regularly update thier knowledge - as should we all in our respective fields - but we are all fallable.

A little tolerance and understanding is what is needed.

Accepted

but I am compelled for reasons I have stated.

Here again, for people who do not fall into the status quo,

No JA I am not calling the teachers in '64. Idiots. I don't know them and they probably had a more liberal attitude than now, I don't know so how can I. Don't be silly. You do have a reading problem and you can take it personally as much as you like as usual.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Have we really advanced from those medieval times when people thought "the world is flat".

Mate you know we haven't really advanced that much. People are still just as ready to suspend rational thinking (if they can think rationally at all that is). In fact I find that the vast bulk of people just don't really like to think about anything too much at all. The fact that people still believe in gods, in ghosts, in ridiculous things like astrology, etc, etc just goes to show how little we really have advanced.

We learn from history that we don't learn from history.

As for people advancing, I think most people in the First World are now heavily programmed with consumerism and very narrow and manufactured versions of freedom and individualism.