Dwain Chambers gold @ 60m (60m?!)

Other than the interesting part about his drug past and not being picked, what's with this 60m event? I thought the shortest was 100m. They should maybe try a 20m and see how that goes, would be fun to watch.

Quote:
Dwain Chambers will not be included in the Great Britain 4x100m squad for the World Championships in Berlin this summer despite winning European indoor gold last night and breaking the European indoor record on Saturday. UK Athletics will release a statement today confirming the decision, after the head coach, Charles van Commenee, broke the news to Chambers in a private meeting last night.

The decision will come as a disappointment for the 30-year-old Chambers, who had hoped to run in the relay this summer despite the British Olympic Association ban that prevents him from competing in the Olympics. UK Athletics has always maintained that the development of the squad must be the priority for the team in preparing for London 2012. This, rather than any issues regarding the publication of Chambers' autobiography, is thought to have been the key factor in the decision.

So, 60m indoors = 100m outdoors?? When did the measurement standards include anything to do with location?? I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that 100m was 100m, no matter where it was measured!

Anyone care to explain?

hold on, I get what you mean now.

When they hit the line at 60m, they are still going full blast, so they need ropes and mats to stop them.

Rationale 60m good for 100m being there's still a good 40m of sprint left in them.