pinch of salt

For the pancakes:

50g/2oz melted butter

sunflower oil for cooking

For the filling:

3 lemons

50g/2oz granulated sugar

Method:

1. To make the batter, tip the flour into a bowl with a pinch of salt and beat in the eggs until smooth. Gradually add the milk and carry on beating until the mix is completely lump-free.

2. Now whisk in the melted butter. Place a pancake pan over a medium heat and wipe with oiled kitchen paper. Ladle some batter into the pan, tilting the pan to move the mix around the pan and pour off any excess. Cook for about 30 secs until golden, then flip over and cook on the other side.

3. Pile the pancakes up and serve with a sprinkling of sugar, a squeeze of fresh lemon and some grated zest.

Here's the forumula for the "perfect pancake"

Quote:
Dr Ruth, who teaches at Wolverhampton University found that

100 - [10L - 7F + C(k - C) + T(m - T)]/(S - E) created the tastiest snack.

In the complex formula L represents the number of lumps in the batter and C equals its consistency.

The letter F stands for the flipping score, k is the ideal consistency and T is the temperature of the pan.

Ideal temp of pan is represented by m, S is the length of time the batter stands before cooking and E is the length of time the cooked pancake sits before being eaten.

The closer to 100 the result is - the better the pancake.

My gran used to make brilliant pancakes.

Rach Im gonna start making pancakes now using your recipe.

I got my golden syrup all warmed up and ready for action.

Your recipe uses one more egg and a little less milk than I normally use, lets see how it goes...

Jynxx they are pancakes!! American style pancakes are too thick.

I love mines slathered in cream and strawberry jam, or tate and lyles syrup. Or just good old heart attack inducing butter!!!

Pancakes on the Rocks...

Iike there are many ways to cook rice

I like them all...

I wanna taste Mantas's

I make mine with grated apples...

I make mine with wholemeal + plain flour

cream, jam, golden syrup, Canadian Maple syrup....ahh

I do admit I love American pancakes.. for breakfast with bacon and eggs, hash brown...

biggrin

Funny how terminology differs throughout the world.

I grew up with pancakes being the thin sweet ones, and crepes being the even thinner savoury ones (except when you had crepe suzette but they were still the ultra thin version). But PIKELETs were the fat ones - you only had them in a bite size.

Nowdays with the influence of America in our everyday lives - pancakes are most definately the big fat ones, pikelets the little fat ones and crepes anything thin enough to roll up ;-)

Personally I like them all.....far too much.

Butter, lemon and sugar is the preferred topping in our house, and we find we get a much better rise on the pancakes if we curdle the milk with a little vinegar before adding to the mix. Light fluffy and warm. Mmmmmmm

I've heard of using vinegar in cake recipies. That or the acid in the buttermilk activates the baking soda to kick off the release of C02 and hence the rise. If the recipie has baking powder, the acid is not needed (baking powder reacts with water just fine).