Hi there.

Ive done taekwondo for 12 years and korean kickboxing for 8 years. Ive got black belts in both. I still train 5 times a week and I teach kickboxing twice a week.

There are a few different styles around muah thai, korean etc. If you are interested, then you need to choose a style that suits you, for example, muah thai is more about strengh and toughness (being able to wear the pain), whereas korean tends to be a lot quicker and is about avoid and counter (so you tend to get hurt less).

usually, you can train 2 or 3 times to see if you like it before you join.

another important thing to look out for is the quality of the instructor - make sure they have formal qualifications, accreditation (and even insurance). there are a lot of cowboys out there (and if they throw you in a ring on your first night then i suspect its being taught by a cowboy) (my coach is the Australian Olympic Taekwondo coach!)

in the same class we have members who go softer and harder and we mix it in with a lot of aerobic fitness, flexibility, self defense etc, to make sure theres something in there for everyone

Yep, been doing for the last 10 years..

Like Gazza above have 3 dan but not in Kickboxing. Never heard of belts in kickboxing to tell the truth!

There are many levels. I like Thai, even a bit of shooto as I have a bit of Judo in my background.

By the sounds of things if you are not keen then you might not like it... though you could be suprised!

Muay thai is great for fitness without having to go too full on into the contact. It's a totally different game when you take away the protection though!

A lot of guys I have been recently training with ( that claim to be sooo tough) run crying the first time they get touched!

Get into it though.. great sport and it can never hurt to know how to defend yourself.

Gareth, been in the game for a while but have never heard of Korean kickboxing! Care to enlighten us?

g'day indo

taekwondo competition is 'sport' fought to a set of very specific rules, with only kicks to the body and head allowed, and only punches to the body are allowed.

Korean kickboxing is an offshoot of taekwondo, but you can also use knees, elbows and head punches.

To the untrained eye, they wouldnt necessarily be able to tell the diiference between it and say muah thai, however, we probably have a lot more kicks in our range, and a different stance and style

I don't believe its competed specifically as korean kickboxing, but used to train taekwondoists who wantot compete in kickboxing events. I dont compete - i'm waaay too old and slow now (plus have a very low pain threshold lol)

Never tried kick boxing, but I have studied Kuk Sool Won for a number of years which is a korean martial art, it is like a mix of Aikido, judo, karate and taekwondo mixed together. It really conditions your body and allows you to get out of nearly any situation, inflic pain and damage to others, including being able to disarm people who have weapons.

Can't find any where to do it in Japan unfortunately for obvious reasons, but I do continue to practice it, and would like to take up something else such as Aikido or even 'Krav Maga' a martial art originally from Czechoslovakia but now taught a lot in Israel!

• 3 months later...
Originally Posted By: thursday
Not kickboxing, but boxing. Just saw the vid of Pacman knocking out Hatton. What a punch. Pacquao called it a perfect punch.

yep, Hatton really got his ass wiped there!! He looked like an old man