Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum - I wasn't sure where it belonged!

Has anyone here had any experience with the Wind Jacket Lodge near Happo-One?

We will be staying there for two weeks in late February. I've always known it was a shared facility (Hostel). There are 6 of us going, and we have made sure we are all in the largest room (6 share) so no bunking with strangers) and I am fully aware the bathroom and dining is shared with other guests.

We're only there to sleep really.

Basically I am not bothered by the arrangement at all - but my little brother is. He seems to think based on the only review he could find that its a death trap, rubbish tip of a place that about as far from everything has humanly possible, and he let me know he didn't like it in no uncertain terms. veryangry

Can someone give me a better opinion? Not saying lie to me lol, just some more opinions would be better. We have no choice as its booked and paid for, and you could all say its the pits, but I'm hoping I can get some info that would calm my brother down a tad!

The descriptions on this fine website say its a 1 min walk from the happo-one lifts and a short walk to the bus stop. Are these descriptions accurate? Is it clean and relatively well maintained? Blah blah etc. (I don't want to ramble)

Any help would be very, very cool.

Cheers,

- Matt

PS. I based my initial research on the Lodge's page on this site and it seemed fine.

• SnowJapan Admin

I'd just like to make one point here. It is very important to us that the information and descriptions that are on our site are accurate.

If there is anything in any way incorrect or misleading - for any accommodation - we very much want to know about it (by PM or email please).

Thanks.

• SnowJapan Admin

I am very much hoping it is (and of course have no reason to believe it would be otherwise!)

Looking forward to hearing about your trip. Hope you enjoy it.

hi Matt, when providing your review, can i suggust that you include a little detail about yourself also?

it might help the reader to get a better understanding of you and your tastes.

i always have a bit of difficulty appreciating relative strangers' reviews of things, as they tend to be quite subjective and often based on limited experience

I did a bit of a search, and found the 2 reviews you mentioned that said the place is awful. One dated December 2008, one January 2008.

On the other hand, pretty much all the websites that reference this place describe it along these lines:

"Centrally Located in Hakuba only 3 minutes to the ski lifts and local nightlife. A clean and comfortable western style lodge."

"Located only 250 metres to the Happo One ski lifts...Wind Jacket provides reasonable rates for a premier location."

"Wind Jacket has been newly renovated."

I'd say if that wasn't the case then you would have a good argument for at least a partial refund.

XilR8, that's pretty much what I've found in my own research as well. I'm just trying to get first hand experience as I'm sure you're aware that the blurb companies put out advertising their products can often differ greatly from the experience of the customer.

As it stands I'm more than happy to believe the descriptions and I'm not worried about it - having lived in South Africa for 5 years I can tell you first hand there are worse places to spend 2 weeks lol (countries great, and I'm a proud Aussie/South African, but the place has gone down hill that's for sure!)

Like I stated in my original post it was more to appease my brother, and annoyingly he said to me no less than 5mins ago "I don't care if it's bad - as long as we have fun". A complete change of tune in under 12 hours...

At least he's in the right spirit now!

PS. And Gareth, I like to try and do things properly so I'm definitely taking your advice on board when I write up the TR! Cheers.

mattaus i have found the same review in my own research, dont think there is a wwole lot more info out there, but mate, I'm going to be in hakuba in exactly 1 week and 1 day, and I'm staying at the wind jacket, so as long as the part about internet access is correct, I will let you know.

Oh sweet...can you to put a post up or even PM me? Actually how long will you be there for? Because if you come back before the 21st of Feb I can obviously wait. Clearly I don't want to detract you from your holiday!

If you post something - cool. If not it's all good.

Hope your trip is awesome.

Originally Posted By: FamiliaGTX
mattaus i have found the same review in my own research, dont think there is a wwole lot more info out there, but mate, I'm going to be in hakuba in exactly 1 week and 1 day, and I'm staying at the wind jacket, so as long as the part about internet access is correct, I will let you know.

haha Familia, 1 week, 1 day and how many minutes and seconds???

7 days, 17 hours, 48 minutes, 36 seconds until my plane leaves. wink not that anyones counting. (no really i only found out because you asked)

mattaus, I will be in hakuba for about 2 weeks, most probably doing the same package you are. i will be back home in early february, so if i don't find 5 minutes on the internet in my holiday i will let you know when I return.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey bud, I've been meaning to get on and give you a run down, but basically, I've been to busy just having a blast haha! don't worry about the accom man your gonna have a ball.

first of all,oz snow only bouught the wind jacket in like september or something, so those reviews are from previous owners running it. The accomodation is by no means the flashest, our room is tiny and in a basement, but each room has a heater and the beds are comfy, so to me that is all I need. having said that some of the rooms are much nicer than mine. there is a common room where everyone hangs out, and it is really comfy, cosey and homely, the guys that run the lodge are fairly young and are really friendly and helpful, and sort of have the holiday vibe about them aswell so you'll have fun with them.

bring warm clothes when you get out of the airport, as it gets cold in the little bus they pick you up in!

The lodge is at the base of happo, and is an easy easy walk, don't worry about that, all other mountains are a free bus trip away that picks you up less than 100m from the lodge. Nightlife is in echoland which is a long walk away, but one that I have done a few times, it doesn't bother me. talking 20 minutes walk. or about 900-1000 yen in a taxi.

In short mate, your going to have a blast. I would stay here again. enjoy your trip, i'm off to bed it's lightly snowing and I want first lifts tomorrow!

ARGH!

One month is too long. Thanks for taking the time to post Familia...very much appreciated.

I'm picking my gear up this Saturday so that will make the excitement hard to bear already, but the news that our ONLY concern for the trip is non-existant is just peaches lol.

Happy days.