[MUSIC] Public Enemy at Newcastle Sat 03Jan09

Went & saw Public Enemy @ Newcastle Panthers Club, Sat 03Jan09, was fantastic!

Doors opened around 8pm, show started 8:30pm.

Watched a bit of each of the supporting acts – “Beats Working†Aussie Hip-Hoppers were pretty good actually, and another crew with both a female & male rapper (+ male DJ) were also quite good (finishing up with quite a cool mix based on that song with the line: “I still call Australia homeâ€).

Whilst the other lead-up act “The Tongue†were pretty ordinary for mine.

PE didn’t actually hit the stage until 11:15pm – much later than I thought, but the vibe of the crowd and lead-up acts were pretty good still, so overall it “felt†fine to have them kick it off relatively late.

AND, they didn’t finish until around 1:45am – yes, a full 2.5 hours!

Most of the gigs I have been to at this venue have finished around the time PE started.

Last time I saw PE was around 20 years ago at the Hordern Pavilion in Sydney, and whilst I cannot recall many details from that gig I can say that last night their show was equally impressive and almost as energetic!

They were very impressive, really put in a lot during much of their time on stage, and really lived up to their reputation live.

There were quite a few casual chats to the crowd in between songs, some politically-motivated, some music-oriented, some just plain out congratulating the city of Newcastle and the crowd there that night.

There was quite a lot of interaction with the entire front rows of the crowd actually, lots of hand slapping, offering their mics for some of the crowd to sing along occasionally, and it was really cool of Chuck D. to, in several instances, carefully grab the camera from some person near the front then turn partway round, hold the camera facing him with the crowd and camera owner behind him, and take a shot or 2 before carefully returning it – never seen that before!

They performed the entire album of tracks in order from their 2nd ever album: “It takes a nation of millions to hold us back†(released in June 1988) which was fantastic - “Bring the noise†and “She watch channel zero†were highlights.

They also threw in a few other great popular tracks including “Welcome to the terrordomeâ€, “911 is a jokeâ€, “By the time I get to Arizonaâ€, “Fight the powerâ€, all of which were introduced in interesting and varied ways, were met with the most energy and jumping right through the crowd, and were extended live mixes which was very cool.

DJ Lord, their DJ for the last 10 years or so was great – certainly proving he deserves to be on the tables for PE, and Flavor Flav finished up the night chatting to the crowd for quite a while, including asking us all the question: (along the lines of) “Do ya think you got your money’s worth?â€..

Hell yes.

Very glad I went!

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH BOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYY!

Bass for your face Newcastle!

Yo Gee, show them this is Cold Medina!

(etc. etc.)

Loads of great PE promo vids on Youtube. All the old PE TV ones.

Oh would have loved to have seen that, they played here, 2nd on the bill at a doof fest NYE :( No side show either. Pass.

As sad as I am about that Im completely stoked for you that it was such a great gig. They truely are the pioneers and great to see they didnt end up a burnt out shell of what was.

Thanks for rubbing it in ssar smile smile smile

I've seen em twice, once in Manchester in about 88 and then in Japan in about 93/94.

At the first one, there were local gangs robbing people and in trying to start trouble. The band actually noticed, stopped the music, and Chuck threatened to set the S1Ws on one kid that looked like a ringleader. It was all very surreal. The same kid and some of his crew had surrounded me earlier on and I could feel them trying to pick my pocket. I thought I was going to get knifed. I didn't go, but De La Soul played the same venue, the old International 2 in Manchester, a few months later and there were widespread reports of gangs snatching tickets from people in the queue and carrying all manner of weapons. The whole gang thing then exploded in Manchester at clubs like Konspiracy and most famously at the Hacienda itself.