I've decided to learn how to play the (electric) guitar. Always wanted to, never had one and never taken the plunge but it's time now.

Anyway been looking online at guides etc and getting overloaded with info. So I thought I'd ask the sjcollective (the ones who play guitar anyway) what might be a good one to pick up. Don't need anything fancy - I might be crap - so just something basic. I was hoping that 30,000 yen might get me going with what I need.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello. I like play guitar. I recommend starting out with something like Epiphone Les Paul Heritage + amp.... I think you can maybe do that for around 40,000 yen and it is decent guitar and you can have a lot of fun. Go into a big shop and have a play!

You can have fun on an electric but try to pick up a cheap acoustic somewhere too to learn the chords properly. Practice like a madman for a few months so that you get over the initial hurddles and keep up your motivation.

Buy whatever guitar you like, but make sure you get a tuner. Little digital ones that clip on the head are the coolest. I think electrics are easier to play, but ymmv.

With an electric, a little USB gizmo will let you use a computer with decent speakers as an amp. You can buy/acquire software that'll emultate every great amp and effects pedal ever made. Put the right effects on, pick a Bm or D chord, and you can sound like the Edge, for example.

The music shop Shimamura looks like it has some New Year deals on, so go and have a look if there's one nearby.

elec guitar is easier than acoustic.

avoid classical guitar at all costs, as it is harder than a regular acoustic. (classical has nylon strings, wider neck).

buy a hand execsizer thing that bodybuilders use, it will increase you hand/wrist muscles when u not playing due to sore fingers.

do not buy an amp higher than 50W, it will be too loud. even 50W is excessive for home use. use PC speakers as sugested or buy a crappy 20W cheapo job at first. that will sound crapper than an acoustic though, so if you are after quality sound then maybe better to go with acoustic from the start.

myself i have only played acoustic for the last ten years, its less hassle, no need for amps etc, perfect volume for singin along.

The guitar world is a bit backwards.

Tubes > transisters > microchips.

And analogue > digital.

Playing through your PC might be a quick way to get started at first but I'd get an amp and effects peddles. Start with a cheapo digital multi-effects peddle, but keep in mind - effects might be fun at first but in the end it's all about the music.

Actually, I'd get an acoustic (steel string) for sure.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
avoid classical guitar at all costs, as it is harder than a regular acoustic. (classical has nylon strings, wider neck).

Wider neck makes it easier to play individual notes without interferance from other strings and nylon strings are much easier on the fingers than steel so I wouldn't say it's harder to play. The wider neck might be a bit cumbersome when you're learning how to wrap your hand around it but the bottom line is: steel string guitars are better for playing chords - they sound better, and most of the acoustic guitar that you hear on your favourite rock albums are steel string, so if you want to sound like Slash strumming away on 'Patience' then get steel string, not nylon.

you been round the guitar shops in Ochanomizu Scouser? My sister's bfriend picked up a good pedal very cheap in the summer. Most of it is second hand I think so prob a lot of bargains to be had....and if you get bored you could walk around the corner and into all the snow sport shops!! smile

OK so I have got meself a new (Epiphone Les Paul) electric guitar, small amp, picks (?), stand and tuner. All for just around 35,000 yen. So now I have to learn how to play the thing. Looks great though, I'm just enjoying looking at the moment. lol

When I set my mind on something, I want it NOW!!!!!

It even annoys me sometimes, but I just get something in my head and can't let go. It helps to get things done quickly because if I didn't my mind would be consumed with it and wouldn't get much else done. So it's a period of intense research followed by purchase.

lol

Got the whole lot from one shop so it wasn't a huge hassle.

• 2 weeks later...

Got any friends who are learning or helping you out? It's good to play with others who are learning or maybe a bit better than you... A little friendly productive competition. Got friends who are in a band? Watch them rehearse. See what it's all about. ....Watch as much live music as you can too and as many types of music as you can. Maybe there's a bar with an open-mike acoustic night or something. You don't have to get up and play but go and watch other amatures get up and play and see if you can follow what they're doing. It's a language. If you sit at home and learn with a book, it's like learning Russian in your living room. If you're in the scene though, it's like going to Russia and hanging out with hot Russian chicks. You still have to study on your own too but it keeps you going and gives you something to shoot for. It's fun! smile

Alas no. On my own. I have been watching some music vids and noticing how they play their guitars more. (And be a bit overwhelmed at the same time!)

Gambarimasu