I see Whistler yesterday opened it's new Peak 2 Peak Gondola linking up Whistler Blackcomb, 2.7 miles apart. Kicking Dragondola off the record breaking list at the same time in some style. Will be good to have one one of those down below bad weather days. An impressive piece of work. I wonder how strong winds will affect that, unsupported for such a long distance and all..

TramPath_sm.jpg

Just reading that

The PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola will be the most wind tolerant lift at Whistler Blackcomb, able to run in winds up to 80km/hr. The 3S Gondola ensures stability since it travels along two track ropes while being pulled by a third haul rope.

Last January, in Whistler Blackcomb’s stormiest month, the Peak elevation at 2,182m/7,160ft only saw two days where winds exceeded 80kms/hour. Comparatively, at the mid-mountain elevation of 1,660m/5,450ft, wind surpassed 50km/hour only six times during the month. The PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola is located at 1,850m/6,069ft, an elevation that is less affected by the heavy winds that can occur in the high alpine.

The PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola will play a key role in transporting guests to open terrain on both mountains when alpine lifts are closed due to stormy weather.

I guess I'll get to try it out in January - it wasn't open yet when I was there over American Thanksgiivng in November. The suspension/haul cable system should make it both smooth and wind-resistant. The corridor between the mountains is pretty wide and deep, so the winds should be fairly constant, which is probably more of an issue, since gusty or direction-changing winds would be what would cause swinging and "rider discomfort" issues.

We did some mental calculations, and it seems like it would be faster to catch the Whistler Gondola and the PTP to access Blackcomb rather than going the Blackcomb Gondola/Excellerator/Jersey Cream route or the Wizard Express/Solar Coaster chairs up from Balckcomb base. That is assuming no lines and all lifts running at top speed...

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
it seems like it would be faster to catch the Whistler Gondola and the PTP to access Blackcomb rather than going the Blackcomb Gondola/Excellerator/Jersey Cream route or the Wizard Express/Solar Coaster chairs up from Balckcomb base. That is assuming no lines and all lifts running at top speed...

wow... reminds me just how big whistler is! went there to ski when i was about 14! damn i've gotta get back. hmm maybe next year avoiding olympic time. (I'm lucky enough to have relos in pemberton and friends in whistler)

yeah just as well it wasnt P2P.

Second time this has happened on the same lift area, but on a repalcement lift.

What a nightmare senario cables coming loose and just swinging...

Intestesting!!!

System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: Cannot execute a program. The command being executed was "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\csc.exe" /noconfig /fullpaths @"C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vea99snu.cmdline". at System.CodeDom.Compiler.Executor.ExecWaitWithCaptureUnimpersonated(SafeUserTokenHandle userToken, String cmd, String currentDir, TempFileCollection tempFiles, String& outputName, String& errorName, String trueCmdLine) at System.CodeDom.Compiler.Executor.ExecWaitWithCapture(SafeUserTokenHandle userToken, String cmd, String currentDir, TempFileCollection tempFiles, String& outputName, String& errorName, String trueCmdLine) at Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeGenerator.Compile(CompilerParameters options, String compilerDirectory, String compilerExe, String arguments, String& outputFile, Int32& nativeReturnValue, String trueArgs) at Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeGenerator.FromFileBatch(CompilerParameters options, String[] fileNames) at Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeGenerator.FromDomBatch(CompilerParameters options, CodeCompileUnit[] ea) at Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeGenerator.System.CodeDom.Compiler.ICodeCompiler.CompileAssemblyFromDomBatch(CompilerParameters options, CodeCompileUnit[] ea) at System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeDomProvider.CompileAssemblyFromDom(CompilerParameters options, CodeCompileUnit[] compilationUnits) at System.Xml.Xsl.XsltOld.Compiler.CompileAssembly(ScriptingLanguage lang, Hashtable typeDecls, String nsName, Evidence evidence) at System.Xml.Xsl.XsltOld.Compiler.CompileScript(Evidence evidence) at System.Xml.Xsl.XsltOld.Compiler.Compile(NavigatorInput input, XmlResolver xmlResolver, Evidence evidence) at System.Xml.Xsl.XslTransform.Compile(XPathNavigator stylesheet, XmlResolver resolver, Evidence evidence) at System.Xml.Xsl.XslTransform.Load(String url, XmlResolver resolver) at System.Xml.Xsl.XslTransform.Load(String url) at CWI.Lego.LegoFile.GetXslTransform(String path) at CWI.Widgets.Syndication.transformAtomFeed(XmlDocument document, String template, XsltArgumentList args)

Tower 4 (4th up from the Village base, right alongsode the creek, near the townhouses) came apart a little below the halfway joint. Scary. No deaths, most serious injury was a cracked vertebrae. Investigation into the failure is ongoing, with tentative reports saying ice forming inside the tower may be responsible. Do a search - there's a couple of informative CBC articles.