i was in Hakuba last January. I am returning in December 08. I read that you can buy a a cheap phone,add credit, get a temporary number while l was there last January. The White Horse springs to mind.

Does anyone know if you can obtain a phone?

Cheers

Softbank will not sell overseas people, without employment contract, etc. I asked last year.

I read in a magazine while in Hakuba, that you can buy a cheap(6 month only number, add credit and use in it. It said you can get them in the resort.

Just wondered if anyone knows of this?

Thanks

Hey, sorry I am in Australia but I'd imagine the deal would be pretty standard in England as well...I'm with 3 Mobile over here (not sure if they are in the UK...might be under a different name or not at all)

I am Also going to Hakuba next Feb and looked into phone rental etc but after contacting 3 Mobile I obtained a price list for the associated carriers in Japan - DoCoMo and Softbank. My Mobile is 3G capable and thus works on Japanese networks. Its a Nokia E71, though my Old N70 and HTC p36600i will also work.

The call rates while fairly pricey are not rediculous if your using it for emergencies and random enquiry calls. Yes I will be charged 23c per 30seconds of any call I receive but if I want to make a long distance call back home for an extended period I'll just use a phone card.

Of course it depends on what your using your mobile for...

I hire a phone in the UK for Japan, works out at £1 per day plus call charges. Do a google search for Adam phones.They charge £7 to send you the phone and same for return. Incoming calls are free. To UK 85p in country 40p per min.