I'm travelling round Japan at the moment.

I would like to go skiing for a few days on or around 20December.

I thought Nagano as it is close to Kyoto and has backpacker hostels. I need to get back to Osaka for my flight eventually.

Can I get to Nagano from Takayama? Might fit better with itinerary.

I could do further North if the bullet trains are quick or have to ski mid December?

Night trains or night buses are an option with the JR railpass though I hear night trains don't usually have sears - all beds I'd couchettes.

Are there hostels in Hokkaido?

Any suggestions?

Originally Posted By: GordonFreeman
What about mid December?
Won't Nagano be just as busy before Xmas?
Hopefully the hostels will have space...

Xmas and before is still relativley quiet in Hakuba and throughout Nagano. Its the New Year week that is very busy.
You shouldnt have any difficulty finding a bed this time of the year.
Originally Posted By: stemik
Originally Posted By: GordonFreeman
What about mid December?
Won't Nagano be just as busy before Xmas?
Hopefully the hostels will have space...

Xmas and before is still relativley quiet in Hakuba and throughout Nagano. Its the New Year week that is very busy.
You shouldnt have any difficulty finding a bed this time of the year.

And Niseko?
I know Niseko is longer to get to but if there's an overnight train then that makes the decision easy as it's supposed to have excellent powder?

Gordon,

Hakuba will be your best bet from the Osaka/Kyoto area, but you can't get there directly from Takayama in winter -- the mountain pass is closed. You can get direct trains, or overnight bus if you're on a really tight budget, or take the Bullet Train (yes, they're very fast) to Nagoya and change for regular express trains there.

You could do Niseko on a not-too-expensive package tour, but you must book at least 10 days in advance. Overnight trains go to Hokkaido from Tokyo, but not from Osaka, and you'd still face a 2.5-3 hour bus trip.

Easiest thing will be to find a JTB or Kinki Nippon Tourist outlet and book something through them.

Yep, Hakuba sounds like your best bet. You should still check the travel agencies; they're usually pretty good at finding cheap places to stay, or just check the websites of some of the Hakuba resorts on Snow Japan for accommodations help. Powder in mid-December? decent chance at least. Have fun.