Thinking of getting a new car. Love the Stagea but RWD just doesn't get me anywhere and the company car isn't always available. Have been considering a Subaru Forester and roof rails are an option on some models.

Anyway I can't figure out what the advantages are and can't find anthing online so thought I'd pick the SJ brain bank.

worship

Base carriers that fix directly to the car are slightly cheaper than the ones that fix to the roof rails so what are the benefits of getting rails?

Cheers.

Jane, the rails will give you a little more drag and weight.

I had an SUV with rails. Didn't use them once in the 2 years I had it. Mind you, if you're driving to ski resorts, I suppose they'd be useful for those trips.

If they can be removed when not needed, then all the better.

If I choose a model with rails they are factory installed so not simple to remove. As far as I can work out I still need to buy a base to attach a box/ski carrier/bike rack or whatever to. It seems that there are two types of bases - one for cars with rails and one for cars without.

I guess whatever I choose for the roof will stay on year-round because I live on the fifth floor, there is no elevator and my parking is not that near my house so I'm just going to have to deal with the extra weight and drag.

So when I have decided whether to get rails or not, the next question is roof rack basket type thingy, low profile roof box or ski carrier?

Roof rack basket thing - looks bad and stuff gets wet but most flexible in use

Roof box - looks better, protects gear but creates drag even when not in use and difficult to fit in some car parks

Ski carrier - don't think I'll go with this option cos it's only good for skis/boards (although I did manage to get three baby strollers on the ski carrier last winter).

I could if I didn't take many other people but I don't like the idea of sharp edged boards loose in the car next to Mini Me Tarzan in his car seat. The main issue is space though - when I go without MMT I've usually got 5 adults in the car so there isn't really the space to do that then.

get the rails, get some racks then you can take the racks off during the summer.

If you get the standard racks you can get the attachments that will fit board & ski fittings. That way you can also use the racks for boards or other uses if you need.

Those boxes aren't that good and can hardly fit much in when you take bindings into account.

We got a roof box - Thule Atlantis 780 - and it was excellent for two pairs of skis and luggage, waterproof, and not that much of a drag on fuel economy. Drove to Thredbo and back from the Gold Coast with it last season. Had to watch the low height car parks though, our AWD got up to 2.3m high.

Check out Yahoo Auctions for very cheap cars and car accessories. A Forester may be big enough to stick an ladder-type carrier on the back door. You certainly can on a van, which may be better for five adults than a smallish SUV.

Originally Posted By: Indo
get the rails, get some racks then you can take the racks off during the summer.

Is this the advantage of rails - easier to take the rack on and off?

I'll have a look on Yahoo, thanks Mr W.