Waseda - shocking drug den

Originally Posted By: Endless Winter
Just a few years ago you could regularly see people in Shibuya sitting at small tables openly in public selling magic mushrooms. Completely surprised by this I stopped and had a chat with one of the guys selling the mushrooms. He told me there was no law specifically against selling them. I don't know how many years this went on, but eventually the authorities caught on. I think a law was eventually passed so now you don't see it these days. At the time it struck me as completely comical to see these characters setting up shop each night.

The magic mushrooms were fine here up until the world cup in 2002. I used to go to this bar in Yokohama called Drug on Drug that sold magic mushies, you chose them from a glass case, got a beer and went through into this room that was covered in futons. Sit down, bosh the mushies and trip out at all the stuff on the walls. The law was finally changed as the government was afraid that rampaging football hooligans would take em and go on a trip induced riot.

I remember trying to play pool while on them and the pool balls kept changing colour!!! lol

Funny but I didn't do any crap like that back home (where they are illegal) but did them here because they weren't.
Originally Posted By: bobby12
Interesting.

If you make a new drug, surely it is not illegal until the law finds out and specifically bans it? I wonder how that works legally, because new drugs must be coming out all the time.

This is true Bobby. That's why Ecstacy was legal in US right into the 80's. Many people in the UK thought the same, thought it was a new drug and so not classified but didn't realise that it had been illegal since the 60's.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Funny but I didn't do any crap like that back home (where they are illegal) but did them here because they weren't.

And that would be one of the big arguments for not decriminalising any of the 'softer' drugs.

There is a counter argument that a lot of people take drugs *because* they are illegal. Think teenagers.

Personally I don't do drugs though I might have dabbled in my late teens. Its weird when I go back to London because all my friends from that time have exactly the same lifestyle as 15 years ago, I have no interest in it now.

same as me Bobby. Had a little dabble when I was late teens early 20's but stopped that a long time ago and yet friends od mine from that era are still doing the exact same thing. Hanging out with younger people (18-24yr olds), kinda sad to see that. I'm always shocked at how much drug abuse has invaded all levels of society back home, older people in their 40's and early 50's as "recrational" drug users just isn't right