Waseda - shocking drug den

Anyone else been following that story about the students at Waseda University who took marijuana? Seems they (all 7 of them) have been arrested and the top dudes of the University have been apologising in public and doing the deep bows on tv because of such a shameful thing. I've never been into that kind of thing myself but it seems almost comical at how much fuss has been made of it and all this mincing around apologising as if they had killed someone. Students smoking pot?!?! Unbelievable!

They really hit hard for what we would consider low level drug use. A good friend of mine has recently been whisked away by the cops for being in possesion of a small quantity of weed. The guy he buys it off of (also someone I know) got pinched and spilt his guts about who he sold it to. There are quite a few worried Gaij around my bit just now. Luckily I'm not 1 of em....don't do any shit like that anymore.

Saw the Bowing thing on telly....it does make me laugh!! lol

I saw that on some program here, they were taking the piss. Less "REALLY VERY SORRY" and more "Sorry that you found us out" kind of sincere.

Thinking back to college, I am sure one or two people may have partaken. I am sure the people who run the uni would have been very apologetic if this scandal had come out.

Peoples attitude to drugs here is naive at best.

I had a bit of an argument with the inlaws about it. I was trying to explain the following points:

- theres a huge difference between drugs like crack and heroin than weed.

- aside from tax reasons, why is it ok for you to drink alcohol and take medicine but not for someone to smoke weed?

These and other points were met not only with immediate refusal (without even a moments consideration), but also I was also looked down on for harbouring such thoughts.

So much for intellectual debate.

The problem is the law is the law....no matter how harmless you think something is, if it is illegal and you partake then you are taking the risk knowing that you could be discovered and subject to the laws of that locale for that offense.

Shame of it is that sometimes young people get bad advice from older players about how "un-serious" stuff is, and find out the hard way that it is actually pretty serious if they do get caught.

I was chatting to a lady yesterday who is a judge (adult court), and had previously worked in juvenile justice... She made it very clear that drugs convictions in your early years can seriously impede you doing things you might want later on - things young people don't often consider...."after all it was only a bit of pot".

Probably the most ridiculous thing though - was if you are charged in WA with Urinating in Public (as many men/boys do, especially after a big night at the bar!) it is a simple $200 fine and you don't even have to attend court - just tick a box. However the conviction is a criminal one, and shows up on transcripts as Criminal Disorderly Conduct. Wonder what your chances of getting that prize job or entry in the USA is now? .....

So while I understand the "it is only pot" argument, there are consequences if you get caught... you just need to work out if the consequences are worth it.

mamabear, your point is valid and I agree, but you are talking about legal consequences.

I am talking more about whether drugs are bad on an ethical level, ie. ignoring legal issues, is there something wrong with smoking weed, is it any worse than alcohol etc.

It is wrong to just blindly follow the law - look at the nazis. Plato would have banned music from his Republic. The Taliban had some crazy laws too. Women/Blacks were not allowed to vote in the past etc.

It just irritates me that I cant even have a discussion about it. The attitude here is that if you even are willing to debate the issue, you automatically must support drug-taking. I think this is a very naive, bigoted and dangerous way to think.

They did a piece on one of the "broadcast" news type programs a few weeks ago. Everyone on there looked extremely concerned about the drugs explosion and the fact that foreigners were the ones pushing it onto the youth of Japan. The drug tzar dude came on to tell everyone how dangerous pot was. They even had a diagram showing lots of drugs - including cocaine, heroin, etc, without any distinction being made between them.

Nevermind 'abuse', best to stay clear of pot altogether unless you want to end up like Tubby's friend and don't mind loosing your job and getting thrown in jail and probably kicked out of the country.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
It is wrong to just blindly follow the law ....

It just irritates me that I cant even have a discussion about it. The attitude here is that if you even are willing to debate the issue, you automatically must support drug-taking. I think this is a very naive, bigoted and dangerous way to think.

Yes. Agreed. Sort of.

Although 'wrong to just blindly follow the law..." aaahhhh... yes and no. It is wrong to not be law abiding. However if the laws are wrong and archaic and stink then by all means work to change them. Protest, lobby, research, demand, go on strike, demonstrate in ways that stick within the law - and change them. Just because Joe Pisspot thinks he is a better driver after a beer or six does not give him the right to drink and drive....it does entitle him to test his theory in research condtions, prove his point and lobby for a law change.

However I agree wholeheartedly that it should be able to be discussed, and discussed without prejudice for expressing or exploring controversial views.

As far as pot is concerned - the inhaled gasses/smoke is more dangerous to a persons health than if they were inhaling a commercial cigarette due to the use of filters - it is nasty toxic crap lining and eating away at your lungs. But I can see REAL benefit for the active drug in pot being administered as a drug - particularly in pallitive care. Terminally ill patients can get amazing relief from a joint or two ....and if you are at that point in your life journey what does it matter whether you smoke it or bake a cookie ...

haha....1st thing I did. Anyway like I said I wasn't involved in any of that shit and only found out after they got pinched. I was never around when they were smoking it so I'm in the clear....but there are a fair few who are on shoogly pegs I can tell ya!!

The thing is MB you ARE right, they broke the law, knew they were doing it and decided to chance it.....but to not be able to have a proper adult conversation about it without being labelled a junkie is totally wrong. You can't complain too much as there aren't anything like the social probs here that are in our home countries. Its just that I knew that it'd be the foreigners who'd get labelled with leading the Japanese astray. The Yakuza are the big movers and shakers in anything illegal but the police do nothing to try and stop them

Just a few years ago you could regularly see people in Shibuya sitting at small tables openly in public selling magic mushrooms. Completely surprised by this I stopped and had a chat with one of the guys selling the mushrooms. He told me there was no law specifically against selling them. I don't know how many years this went on, but eventually the authorities caught on. I think a law was eventually passed so now you don't see it these days. At the time it struck me as completely comical to see these characters setting up shop each night.

Interesting.

If you make a new drug, surely it is not illegal until the law finds out and specifically bans it? I wonder how that works legally, because new drugs must be coming out all the time.