Where to? Newbie to Japan and Newbie to forums

Hi Everyone,

This is the first time I've ever used any forum so please bare with me whilst I learn how to drive this.

I'm planning a trip to Japan for myself, husband and 3 kids, we've never been. All kids are intermediate skiers aged 6,9,12 and my husband and I are advanced but we obviously ski with the kids.

My question is where would be best for us to go? I've done quite a bit of research and I'm now completely overwhelmed and lost by the choices and number of resorts that I feel I'm back at the start with no idea where to go. We are flexible as far as traveling dates.

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stephanie

We usually like 2 adjoining rooms and don't particularly care whether hotel, lodge or chalet. Would prefer to eat out or in house restaurants for all meals but need plain meals for fussy eaters (kids). More chair lifts rather than T-bars with long runs, I may be showing my lack of experience with aboard ski resorts, we've only ever skied Australia. Night life not required unless kids entertainment available.

Is this any help?

Stephanie

Hard to answer that question "what sort of ski resort" when the answer would be as per what everyone wants; ski in ski out, excellent snow base and cover, long runs, many runs, short lift lines, variety of terrain parks, great value for money, etc etc.

I was hoping someone may give a recommendation based on knowing where a family would be best suited, both resort and accommodation needs, from their personal experience.

I wasn't expecting any travel agents on this forum and I'm so glad you're not a travel agent, they often don't give the best recommendation.

Originally Posted By: brit-gob
I would think gg meant what kind of ski resort you want to go to rather than specifics about hotel. We're not travel agents putting a package together for you wink

lol

Inter-connecting rooms or adjoining rooms? I don't think I have ever seen inter-connecting hotel rooms in Japan. They might exist, who knows. You're easy to help Steph, there are heaps and heaps of places that would suit you. There must be hundreds of ski resorts set up with a big hotel located at the base of the easy/intermediate piste, with meals and stuff laid-on and providing plenty of really bland Japanese versions of western food. The breakfasts might be a bit of a struggle though with miso soup and seaweed and little bits of fish and boiled rice and tofu - yum, I'm getting hungary just thinking about it! They usually have bread and jam of some sort washed down with thin coffee so you won't starve.

Heaps in Nagano - Hakuba, Shiga Kogen, Nozawa (not sure about the "big" hotel, but plenty of really good accom). Niigata - Naeba is the main one that I know but there are loads. Heaps in Hokkaido - Higashiyama Prince (now called Hilton or Niseko Village or god only knows what these days - decent looking ski school set up too), Kiroro, Rusutsu etc. These are the ones I have been to, but problaby bearly scratches the surface. My suggestion would be Shiga Kogen - massive place, would struggle to cover the whole resort in two weeks, decent accm and world class snow.
Originally Posted By: Stephanie
, variety of terrain parks, great value for money,

These two might be a problem. not many places have decent terrain parks and value for money is such a subjective thing it is almost impossible to provide meaningful advice on.

I stayed at the Hakuba Tokyu Hotel the other night. We had adjoining rooms. Breakfast was Western/Japanese/Chinese.

Its very close to the lifts and ski school.

The rest about Hakuba Im sure you can read on here.

No worries about English in places like Hakuba. You'll be surprised at just how easy it is to get around. The big hotels will have heaps of English speaking staff and almost all signs will have an English translation - even if the grammar and spelling is a bit wonky.

Okay I know I am now going to be considered the NISEKO lover on this forum because I always recommend it to new comers BUT

GO TO NISEKO - It is great for your first introduction to Japan. Niseko is very easy to get around, very safe, plenty of restaurants both Japanese and European to choose from. English speaking staff.

I can be a little fussy (vegetarian)with my food and I had NO PROBLEMS at all. There are places where the kids can still get Hot Dogs, Pies and chips, Hamburgers (NOT something we did) etc BUT really give the japanese food a go you wont be disappointed.

If you get brave get on the shuttle to Kutchan and shop with the locals. Take a walk around the town, once again it is VERY SAFE, the food was yummy and I even practiced my very limited Japanese.

I am an intermediate skier and my husband is and advanced snowboarder and we both found plenty of runs to keep us entertained.

I know I sound like a broken record for Niseko!! wave

Originally Posted By: snowhunter
Okay I know I am now going to be considered the NISEKO lover on this forum because I always recommend it to new comers BUT

GO TO NISEKO - It is great for your first introduction to Japan. Niseko is very easy to get around, very safe, plenty of restaurants both Japanese and European to choose from. English speaking staff.

I can be a little fussy (vegetarian)with my food and I had NO PROBLEMS at all. There are places where the kids can still get Hot Dogs, Pies and chips, Hamburgers (NOT something we did) etc BUT really give the japanese food a go you wont be disappointed.

If you get brave get on the shuttle to Kutchan and shop with the locals. Take a walk around the town, once again it is VERY SAFE, the food was yummy and I even practiced my very limited Japanese.

I am an intermediate skier and my husband is and advanced snowboarder and we both found plenty of runs to keep us entertained.

I know I sound like a broken record for Niseko!! wave

hmmmm, I know where you're coming from but it isn't as if you need to deal with feudal samurai and ninjas in other ski towns. Hakuba has everything you've just mentioned - one of the resorts even has a Maccas half way up the hill. It probably has more ski options too. It would be a pity if people thought that Niseko was the only Japan-lite ski experience available, because it isn't. And in any case, accessing the Japanese ski experience is very easy. Really, nothing could be easier even if you don't speak a word or Japanese and have never been on the snow before - it is just that if you want to do something after hours and you're not dialed in to the way the Japanese do things, you will struggle with finding onsens and bars and stuff like that. Language generally isn't a problem and getting around isn't a problem as virtually every sign is accompanied with an English translation. People will help - they may recoil in fear when you approach them, but you will find someone willing to help. Japan isn't inner mongolia and it has a very well devloped ski industry. The worst problems you're likely to face are: difficulty renting foriegn size gear, finding an open bar past 8 pm and reading a menu (it might not be in English, but will usually be accompanied by pictures - point to the picture and point to your mouth and wave your money - works every time...for the food, not so much for renting gear.

Yeah RD I totally agree with you. People going to Hakuba (as well as any of the big resorts) won't have any problems with lack of Japanese skills, and although I'm not bagging Niseko, I think that foreign tourists should take the blinkers off and look at what the whole of Japan has to offer. Maybe thats the problem, there are too many resorts but generally you will not be disappointed at any of the big resorts in Japan. The snow is top quality, Japanese ability while helping, is not a must and some people may actually say that it adds a bit of excitement to the trip

Quote:
I think that foreign tourists should take the blinkers off and look at what the whole of Japan has to offer.

You're right - meaning not just Niseko AND increasingly Hakuba. They're the 2 big words/cliches aren't they.

Tons of other places.

Yeah, I mean that for both resorts. There are loads of great places in Japan, some that may be better BECAUSE they are smaller and less busy than the big 2. Last year I went to a lot of the smaller and less well known resorts and had a ball. People shouldn't be put off by the lack of English, its a foreign country...of course people don't all speak english. My Japanese is pretty poor but I love it here!!

The one caveat though is that it depends on whether you're a resident in Japan or flying in from half way around the world. A day trip to a small resort or even a weekend at a pension somewhere, particularly if you have some bacis Japanese, can be a lot of fun if you live in Tokyo, but I wouldn't be recommending anything like that for someone from Aust who has saved for the holiday, doesn't speak Japanese etc. They need to go to the bigger places, which does sort of limit their options, but still there are heaps, as long as you don't want to hit the bars and expect some sort of night life or want decent food etc.

Nozawa is a great place - time it right and get to see the fire festival as well, stay at the right place and you're in ski-in/ski-out heaven. Sit in the bar and watch the groomers at work and then catch first lifts for some OMG-I'm-gonna-die high speed runs on glass smooth groomers or knee deep pow....but for 2 weeks? I don't know. And if you're not accustomed to how so many Japanese businesses are hidden behind the most unassuming of blank doors, it would be very easy to walk past the onsens and the bars and other places and just see the tacky omeyagi stores.