Does anyone have schedules for ferries departing for Hokkaido from Nagoya (or anywhere else near Gifu) or Aomori? I haven't been able to find a website, and my Japanese is less than stellar, especially on the phone. Thanks for the help. \:\)

I've done it with my car from Niigata.

We drove up to Niigata City and got a ferry to Otaru, a port an hour or so from Sapporo. You can get to Niseko from there in two hours.

It cost 25,000 one way for a car, driver, and one extra passenger. We had to produce the car's shakensho when getting on the ferry (it shows the car's length). They wouldn't let you on without snow tyres, since it was early December.

We slept in the car in Hokkaido.

It cost roughly the same on the way back. We went a different route from Muroran to Joetsu City. That ferry was much newer and cleaner, but the restaurant and other facilities were much more basic.

The long distance ferries only operate on certain days in the week. For a passenger only, from Niigata its around 7,000 one way for a bunk and a little less for a space in a tatami room with the truckers. It seem to remember it taking around 18 hours.

Driven up twice to Hokkaido by way of Aomori city-Hakodate ferry, about 10,000 yen one way w/ passengers, just drive up, go every hour or so.

I think one has to book in advance for the long distance one's (correct me if i'm wrong NoFakie). Fun to drive too, stopping in at some fun Akita spots. Snow tyres not essential but highly recommended, otherwise you'll spend the whole time in chains.

• 1 year later...

*severe bump*

Resurrecting this thread!

Have had to change my holiday plans and so am now heading up to Niseko. I want to take the ferry and was wondering if anyone else knows any more info about the routes Maizuru-Otaru, Tsuruga-Tomakomai, Naoetsu-Muroran and Niigata-Otaru.

I don`t have a car so it`ll be tricky if I have to arrive too late. Has anyone done these routes and then connected to trains?

I also heard that the ferries are prone to severe delays, does anyone have any experience of this? Cheers for any help you can give.

Done the Maizuru Otaru one. About 10 000 for a bunk I would suggest as the tatami rooms are not so appealing I have heard and seen. I think they leave every day at Midnight and get in to Otaru at 5 in the morning and you have to wait a couple of hours for the first bus to Sapporo. Dont know if there is a direct bus to Niseko but you could catch the train. Takes about 40 hours.

Hope this helps. It was ok but take your own food and save some money as the food is expensive and crap.

i would consider checking out the flights/package deals before booking the ferry (most travel agents in your area should have them).

i am flying to hokkaido on thursday (return from ishikawa), flights and two nights accommodation (you must stay at least one) in sapporo cost me 35000 yen. i believe you can get a transfer from chitose to niseko for about 3000 yen.

a friend of mine took the ferry from here and told me it was gruelling!

I was thinking about taking the car ferry from Tokyo. looked into it and its 2man each way from Tokyo to Tomakomai. seems steep but was planning on spending the whole time up there sleeping in the van. Maybe do a road trip and check out Rusutsu and Teine as well as Niseko.

Now it looks like its going to start dumping in Hakuba so I'm going there instead. Already got a season pass there so its going to work out a lot cheaper plus all my mates are gonna be there.

Wasn't looking foreward to spending a lonely Christmas day in Niseko!

heres some ferry information

http://www3.tky.3web.ne.jp/~edjacob/Ferry.html

Cheers for the help people, looks quite promising.

Going to be a mission to get up there - a day using the youth18 ticket to get up to the port and then another day or so on the boat before the final trip to Niseko! Will save me a small fortune though as I can`t get cheap flights. Am getting the plane back though thank god!

Booked Maizuru - Otaru yesterday.

For anyone else interested in this route it now takes 20 hours, 00.30 to 20.30 every day.

There`s a connecting train from Otaru to Kutchan (next to Niseko) that leaves a little after ten and gets you in a little before midnight.