Just went up to Kurodake (Sounkyo) for the opening weekend. 100cms base and super soft powder! Amazing mid season conditions on top of the mountain. Not a bad way to start the season... but then again that's how we start most seasons in Hokkaido.

Even rode to the bottom of the ropeway! (but was super sketchy on the last 300 meters). If you've never been you have to give it a try, but if you like crowds, give it a miss because you may find yourself the only one there! Kurodake is still a realtively unknown resort located in Japan's largest national park.

If you go, you'll need full avi gear, the ability to rescue yourself if you get in trouble, and advanced ski/snowboard skills to really appreciate it. Even the "hardcore Hakuba boyz" would have difficulty dissing this place.

If you ice climb, this is the place in Hokkaido, check out Hokkaido ice clibming on youtube. BTW, the part where the two guys almost died wasn't in Sounkyo.

Sounkyo is also famous for ample amount of hotsprings and the beautiful gorge it is located in.

At the moment Kurodake is the only resort open in Hokkaido so get over there!

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
Good job BD, you and Mike got me ultra stoked for my Hokkaido trip next month!

We too did some turns down in Honshu last weekend but I wish I could say it was in 100 cm pow.

Hi Tsondaboy, I'm just curious what resort you went to last weekend. Was it Karuizawa? That's the only I know about that's open. Do you have any photos up here? Cheers!
Originally Posted By: Go Native
Mike we'll be heading back again for the first weekend after the lift opens. You'll have to make sure you come up next time!

Nice pics GN.

A little bird told me there was powder in 'them there hills'.

Post the action shots please.

If none available, hopefully Glen and I will be able to deliver sometime Saturday morning smile
Originally Posted By: jcpops
Good job BD, you and Mike got me ultra stoked for my Hokkaido trip next month!

We too did some turns down in Honshu last weekend but I wish I could say it was in 100 cm pow.

Hi Tsondaboy, I'm just curious what resort you went to last weekend. Was it Karuizawa? That's the only I know about that's open. Do you have any photos up here? Cheers!

No resort runs last weekend, we hiked up the Daisekkei in hakuba. Yeti in Gotenba is also open, we did it on the 3rd.

Brilliant photo tsondaboy, I imagine your team must be pretty dedicated to go into terrain like that! I showed it to my co-worker and she went "sugoi!"

I think you guys are the first people in Japan to ski in the mountains this season. Cheers!

It looks like this

1.jpg

Unfortunately, like I said in my first post NO powder at all. We literally ice-skated down the mountain... shifty