I'm against it. My wife lets the kids do it.

It's polarizing people down here. Nothing against American culture, but I really don't think my kids need any more Americana in their lives given that just about all the media (TV, music, games etc.) they absorb comes from the U.S.

I get it in the neck from my two youngest each year about going trick or treating.

I thought I had solved the problem. Last year I went all out - decorated MASSIVELY - brought in a heap of stuff from the States - and held BabyBears 8th birthday party here for Halloween. We had Mummy Wrap game, bobbing for apples, a witch pinata that took a beating... And all the food was themed - we had green hand jelly (made in a glove) spiders decorated onto cakes ....all sorts!

That was great. But this year - no, I don't want a Halloween Party I want to go trick or treating.... GRRRrrr!!!

Trouble is the elderly in the local streets cower behind thier doors terrified that people are knocking and they look scary, and feel threatened....the DINKS are just arriving home from work and have no idea it is even halloween - thier idea of a 'treat' is a nice bordeaux - so even though they might get with the spirit they have nothing to offer the kids....and the grumpy old anti-fun;anti- American's (and we have PLENTY who live locally) give the kids a lecture about Australian traditions and pride in oneself and how they fought in the war for ingrates like... YOU get the picture.

The kids don't understand why we are so mean and say NO, you may not go trick or treating... especially when I make sure we have bucketloads of candy for our trick or treaters... wakaranai

Today I bought some 'showbag' style Halloween Candy Bags from Cadbury - masses of treats in these bags! I bought one for each of the little boys and thought that I would offer them the choice...

1) Have the big huge bag of cadbury treats, stay home and watch a horror movie and give OUT lollies to trick or treaters that come here...

OR

2) Go trick or treating and take your chances on the grumpy neighbours for a sugar fix but give up option 1)above.

I am hoping they take option 1 - I have made it very attractive - but I am 99% sure they will take option 2....just because it is so glorified on the American TV shows they watch.... slap

I remember my cousin coming over about 10 years ago, one of them was about 11 then and we all went trick or treating. She knocked on the door and the rest of us hung back a little for some reason. Then suddenly a huge bucket of water was dumped on her from the floor above, it was totally hysterical.

Halloween, while popularised by America, is not an American custom, its a Celtic custom originating in Scotland and Ireland. Its funny that now, its not so popular in Scotland (dunno about Ireland) yet in America its huge.

When I was young I used to go out, but we never called it "Trick or Treating". It was called "Guising", as in being in Disguise. It was a great night of fun, we would get money as well as sweets. When we knocked on the door we would have to perform a skit of some sort, whether singing a song, dancing or telling a joke. Apart from the fears for child safety now back home, many older people complain that nowadays the kids don't want to do anything for their treat, just expect a handout. that really isn't in the spirit of the original custom

of all the festivities, halloween is def my least favorite. I don't see the fun in letting kids roam the streets forcing their way of fun on people who don't give a shit. Plus all the freaks and weirdos roaming the streets makes it just so dangerous.

Remember a few years back in the states, there were poisoned candy bars. Then there was this hermit with a shotgun who was so afraid of the knock on the door that he shot through it and killed the trick treater.

It is a stoopid seppo (sorry, rhyming slang - septic tank = Yank) thing, why does any other country feel the need to import this stuff from the You Ess of Aye?

well i love Halloween....great for the kids to dress up as well as adults.

Hakuba has a Halloween parade in Echoland....all the hotels, shops and restaurants give out sweets for the kids.

Last Sunday was great with about 300 kids dressed up having FUN!

BTW what festivals do you have down under?

YAY!

They chose to take the bag of treats from me and stay home!! I am sure 2 hours of squad swimming prior had a lot to do with thier choice NOT to get dressed up and roam the streets for a few hours - they are tired!! - but YAY!

However we will welcome other trick or treaters to our door and give them treats.

Originally Posted By: stemik

Every day is a festival down here Stemik wink

My wife goes treat or treating with them and it's mostly to people we know houses. She said that they were all weel recieved, there was even one lady in costume.
I'm not going to stop them but I'll have no part of it. My protest about too much Americana in our lives.
angry

I'm not into Trick or Treating either Mantas, but my kids have grown up with it (halloween in my english school) and enjoy the whole dress up thing. As a kid I can understand it... They just want candy (lollies!). Where we have moved into all the kids did it. Was kind of weird but the kids had fun.

Originally Posted By: Mantas

Every day is a festival down here Stemik wink

My wife goes treat or treating with them and it's mostly to people we know houses. She said that they were all weel recieved, there was even one lady in costume.
I'm not going to stop them but I'll have no part of it. My protest about too much Americana in our lives.
angry

Still have Xmas down at the beach!

Still have Xmas down at the beach!

Yep. The Xmas beach bash will be on again soon.
I hope we can find a better Santa than the scrawny Norwegian backpacker we had last year.

As far as festivals go Australia is pretty light on. They are usually fairly localized and promote some kind of commercial venture.

Maybe we could have a Crikey festival to honor Steve Irwin.
Lots of lunatics running around in Kaki or dressed up as crocodiles. dance

Or a whiety fest.
all those great white that ya have up there! (27 today)
Originally Posted By: Indo

Or a whiety fest.
all those great white that ya have up there! (27 today)

Yeah, we already have a whale festival, I wonder what a Great White festival would do for local tourism.
lol
I had a surf at the whitey beach this arvo, not bad, 3-4 foot and offshore, no sharks though.

We were down Chidley Point on the Swan River yesterday and saw a pod of 5 dolphins frolicking just offshore, AND a seal! Was an awesome day except for the odd intoxicated idiot driving his boat like a madman (it was the red bull airrace - sort of attracts a heap of idiots on boats)- I reckon any one of those gorgeous creatures is a much better reason to have a festival than MANY we already have!