Showing up my lack of knowledge here, so don't laugh - but, just how important are bindings? Should I be really thinking through the binding options as much as or more than the skis themselves?

Any basic thoughts would be really good as I'm about to buy some new gear.

Force on skis goes shin, top-of-boot, foot, footbed, sole, binding, ski. So if there is a sloppy connection then the ski si sloppy. If you are just using alpine bindings then most modern bindings will give good performance and, IMVHO, only if you are racing do you need to think about high-end bindings. A good footbed / thermofit liners will do much more for you then a high-end binding.

AT bindings are a differnt story - but only needed if skinning up.

Hugh

I personally think that boots are more important overall in terms of skiing comfort and performance. However, one of the important aspects of good bindings is the ease with which you can clip back in after you stack in deep powder, or whenever you have snow packed on the soles of your boots. Cheap bindings tend to be more difficult to reconnect in these circumstances, and it can be very frustrating and energy-wasting to have to repeatedly try to clip in and not be able to do so.

I have broken one pair of bindings in 13 years skiing so far and it ended up wasting much of a day's skiing, so my comment is to think about what you want, take the time to discuss all the options and don't economise too much.

I think like Skidaisuki said boots are more important over all. The bindings need to fit well with the boots and be firm and give good feedback, but at the same time in case of a spill the bindings will unclip from your boots to save broken ankles or legs.

Some of the short skis have this problem, because the bindings clip tightly on the boots and wont release if you crash.

Originally Posted By: snowdude
I think like Skidaisuki said boots are more important over all. The bindings need to fit well with the boots and be firm and give good feedback, but at the same time in case of a spill the bindings will unclip from your boots to save broken ankles or legs.
Some of the short skis have this problem, because the bindings clip tightly on the boots and wont release if you crash.

Reminds me of that awful competition vid.
Make me feel sick just thinking about torsion breaks.
Make sure they release!