There are many POS machines around Hirafu, but if its an eftpos I dunno...can somebody translate? If its a bank machine the one where most foreigners had to go to was the post office in Kutchan, the next town away which you can get to very easily by bus.

Hi NZS - We were informed to take cash with us to Niseko as there weren't any Eftpos machines. There is one in Kutchan but we didn't end up needing it.

We took cash, I was a little weary as I have never taken a lot of cash with me on an OS trip before. Once you get to Japan and realise how safe and honest it is there it was no problem.

Just take enough cash to get you by and at worst Kutchan is only a 15 minute trip by bus. EASY!! smile

We took a bucketload of cash, and the credit cards.

Our friends did not - they thought they would go down to Kutchan or some other spot they had in Hirafu (not sure where that was ...) and change dollars as needed.

They drove us nuts, as they put everything for everyone on thier AMEX card and had us give them the cash for it. I felt like I was an atm machine. Particular found it hard because we often like to tip for great service - just round it off to a whole note or whatever...but the extra ended up in thier pocket...so I found I had to find exact change all the time. GGrrrrr.

Just for claritys sake..CB I think NZS means an atm (automatic teller machine) rather than an eftpos (electronic funds transfer point of sale) machine.

ah right....I was wondering the same. Isn't there a 7-11 in Hirafu? Their ATM's accept international cards now.

But Japan is the safest place to carry cash around and in fact most Japanese carry loads round, it'd be a muggers heaven!!

You can use the ATM at the post office in Kutchan (or any post office) to get money out of your bank account in NZ if your card has the cirrius symbol on it. I believe that it may also be able to give you money off your credit card. If your a NZer then your credit and eftpos cards might be on the same card. ours was and that confused the Japanese ATMs and we could not access the credit card part of our card - could only get money out of our bank account via the cirrius thing. Cost us $5 a transaction. Please note that ATMs close at night and public holidays and tend to leave those that rely on them stranded without any money. I would take cash.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
What is Eftpos?

Answered earlier BoC
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Just for claritys sake..CB I think NZS means an atm (automatic teller machine) rather than an eftpos (electronic funds transfer point of sale) machine

So...in asking this question NZS mistakenly used Eftpos where he meant an ATM.
An eftpos machine is just the average card swipey point of sale machine they use in every store/shop/bar etc.

Thanks Jane. It was more that if the bill was $18.60 we will leave $20 - no so much a traditional tipping. And we certainly didn't do it all the time.

But as you can imagine - our cashless friends were not making change where the resturant would have...do we tip our friends? Not!! Made it a bit uncomfortable. Not to mention the fact they were accumulating points at the rate of knots and tend to get point awarded flights and accomodation for MOST of thier oversea's trips. Made for a bit if "Grrrr" factor!

Recommended to take cash!

I find tipping to be a wierd concept. An employee works for a wage. If they work well, they retain a job. If not - see ya! I pay the rate as per the account. If an employee does not give good service, I'll mention it when I leave. If they did, I'll mention that, but I will NOT pay more than required.

As what would be considered a salaried person (ie I work for wages, with no overtime, or other perks) and get no payment from the people I serve, I have no option to get "tips" regardless of how good my service may be.