We are in the middle of trying to get our wedding plans going now. With families on opposite sides of the world, it makes things fairly complex even for the relatively low-key affair we are going for.

I am interested in how other Japanese/foreign couples did it - one main wedding in one country with two parties/receptions (on in each country). I think we will be getting married overseas but there's lots of Japanese family that won't be able to make that trek and we need to get something going here too.

You can't have an official wedding ceremony in the UK if you're already legally married overseas. I think you need to be resident for at least three weeks to get officially married in England. If you're in a hurry, go to Scotland. Gretna Green would be kind of cool. The regulations may be more difficult now though given all the immigrant hysteria.

Japanese wedding ceremonies have no legal meaning and you are only officially married when you do the nyuseki thing at the town hall. You can have another wedding or something that resembles one in Japan if you like.

My cousin married her travel partner on the spur of the moment on a beach on some tropical island - surprising her mother with a 3am phone call "sob sob sob .... IIIIII'mmmmmm MARRIED!...".

Way she fixed the unceremonious dumping of that information was to have the 'reception' when she came home. We all just skipped the wedding part. Expecially seeing as they continue to travel for a few months after they did the surprise wedding thing and she returned home 'expecting'!

Just have a fancy party at the two venues and get married on the beach somewhere with your best friends present.

Fusky, the usual thing to do would be to fly in parents and sisters and bros, have the wedding in Japan, reception, everything, the full nine yards.

Then fly off back home and do perhaps a smaller affair with family and friends.

Originally Posted By: thursday
on the whimm thing is just sooo......... not long term. Are they still together?

Yes they are.
13 years later, 4 kids. Her husband is not originally from Aus, so he left family and friends for her. She got lucky and found her soul mate by surprise.
They are a fun couple.

zdl - am in the same boat as you now mate - and it ain't easy. We've decided to go a bit minimal really. Some of these places, I swear, they just choose random numbers and put that as the price!

Have you read zexy (ゼクシー)? It's a Japanese wedding magazine that has pretty much every place in Japan. Just be warned - its effing large - this month's copy has about 1400 pages.

We did the rego is Japan at the ward office and had a ceremony in Bali, where close family and friends came. Had a party in JP and OZ to celebrate.

Who cares if the ceremony isn't legal, just as long as it's special.

• 1 month later...