My keyboard has gone a bit wonky

This

@

is what I get when I try to post a quotation mark and this

is what I get when I type a left bracket.

My Keyboard option in control panel ain&t helping me.

Arrrgg! Is there something else I can do pcnerdheads? wink

Whoa! That's weird!

Try inverting/shaking/vacuuming any foreign matter out from under the keys. This probably isn't the problem, but it's always a good starting point.

Power down, remove and reinsert the keyboard connector and reboot.

Since those characters aren't even near the characters you were attempting to type (I'm guessing it's a JIS keyboard or a "regular" English QWERTY keyboard), and the other stuff is coming out OK, it's most likely an issue in the keyboard itself.

That happened to me once. I don't know why something to do with an English / Japanese keyboard layout. I uninstalled the keyboard software turned off, reinstalled and it was ok.

I think 1 has the answer - keyboard language settings are a PITA.

As he said, uninstall, switch off and wait a bit. Then switch back on - the OS will recognise the keyboard and want to reinstall it. Let it do that and all should be sweeet! (Geeze, I hope so, or there goes my cred!)

actually 1 is partially correct. It is an issue with the keyboard drivers when using a English based O/S with a Japanese keyboard. If you just unplug and replug it will still view it as a prior device that was previously installed and just go off the old settings.

What needs to be done is.

Download the proper driver for your keyboard in Japanese. Usually there is some kind of software easy install program that comes with the keyboard. Then you would need to un-install the previous driver from the computer.

You can access it from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM and MAINTENCE / SYSTEM / DEVICE MANAGER.

From there look at your USB devices and should be listed. UNINSTALL the US version driver (at this point your keyboard will be inop. Unplug the keyboard and replug it back. It should install the proper Japanese version driver.

If not there is still a trace of the driver in the windows C: drive that needs to be deleted.