Dell customers ignore the offer to plant a tree

Why is this surprising? If I want to do give to charity / plant a tree / offset my carbon emissions, I'll do it myself where and when I please.

Quote:
Dell is still finding it an uphill struggle to persuade its customers to take part in its "Plant a Tree for Me" scheme. Under this plan, customers can choose to spend an extra £1 per notebook or £3 per desktop to offset its estimated carbon emissions for the next three years.

Only 300,000 customers opted to pay the levy during Dell's last financial year, which ended in February, said Tod Arbogast, the company's director of sustainable business. Though he declined to enumerate it, that amounts to between $300,000 (£169,000) and $900,000 of voluntary spending by customers - compared to Dell's revenues of $61.1bn and net profits of $2.97bn. As a percentage of customers, it remains well below the 1% mark - as calculated by the Guardian in August 2007.

Would you?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/oct/02/dell.greentech

I did it. It was only $1.

The reason I did it was cos I ordered throught the company so:

- I was getting a nice discount anyway, plus GBP-USD rate is good.

- Many people in the company were reviewing the quote so I wanted to look like a good guy ;-)

Heard some things from friends who own Dells and they say they havent been able to download the English MUI if they bought a Dell from the Japan division with Vista installed