I will be travelling round Japan in late October/November.

Is there any chance of getting some skiing in in November and which resort is best?

If good, I could stay for a month or so if it's somewhere that has a backpackers type hostel. Are there many foreigners visitng durig these times or is it mainly Jan onwards?

Places will open as soon as they can within reason.

Accommodation isn't usually busy - in my experience - until late December. I think early on it might be less busy than you might expect.

Gordon, most of the Hakuba resorts (and most other major resorts) don't fully open until December. If you want to ski in November, there are usually a few options, but they normally involve artificial snow. There is a surplus of accomodation in most places except for the Christmas period & New Year holidays, so you shouldn't have trouble finding space in November. The challenge may be finding good snow - though hopefully not...

I'll prob be up in Kagura early December (weather permitting), the only downside is how busy it is!! I went last year around about the 2nd weekend in Dec and was amazed at how many people there were, still loved it though!! groovy