No Pay- What would you do?

Friend of mine hasn't been paid for 2 weeks since it was due, and the previous month apparently it was a week late as well. Her company is a small American company and the excuse given is that they are having problems transferring funds from a US account. She asked me what I would do if it was me, and I said that after two weeks then I wouldn't go into work until they paid me. As it would constitute a contract violation then she would be well within her rights, but she wasn't sure and didn't seem the Japanese way?! I advised her to be on the look out for a new job as well!!

What would you do in her situation?

It happened to me a few times where the pay was not in the account the day it should be - or for a few days after that. The longest gap was two weeks after it was expected...I quit! Admittedly I quit because I was pregnant and ordered on bed rest, but it was not a difficult decision when you upheld your end of the contract (arrived on time, did the job efficiently and then left) and they did not.

As business owners we hold dear to our hearts 'the first rule of business' ...pay the workers ON TIME and the right amount! We have to anticipate bank holidays and busy periods where the BANK might be slow to process, and in these situations we try to make sure we do the transfer a day early to make sure people are not having thier automatic deductions rejected, and they can pay thier mortgage!

The lass needs to have a chat with her employer and let him/her know that if her pay is not up to date by the end of the week, and the delays sorted out immediately then she will be looking for another job. Fair call - people work to get paid...they need to get paid...and the majority are living pretty much pay check to pay check - so a 2 week delay is a disaster!

Yep, in my experience, working for bigger outfits is more likely to result in on-time and correct-weight payments. However, that said, many small business owners are very meticulous with payments too.

In Oz, I'd have been heading to the union, and the lawyer (in that order) after the second time the pay was late.