Hi,

I got big feet (size 12 US) and would be looking for a place to buy snowboard boots in Tokyo. Any idea from anybody as to where I could get them ?

I am also thinking about getting a Burton Canyon 168 but seems like finding a 5-legged sheep would be easier in Tokyo. So once again if anybody can help on this that would be great.

Thanks.

You might have trouble there SerreChe but as has been said many times before there are heaps of SNB shops in Jimbocho/Ochanamizu..Toei Shinjuku/Maranouchi lines. You might find it cheaper to order one from the States, being that it will probably cost you around 75,000 yen plus tax for a Canyon and they were around $US480 last year.

Just ask as many shops as possible. It would be easier if you had a Japanese friend to help though because someone may know where you can find what you need but you may not know where they are talking about. If you can speak japanese then it's much easier.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi NeverSummer,

Thanks for your pointers on this problem. I actually ordered my 168 canyon(2004, not sure if any difference with the previous season's, but I am not really fussed about that)+SI binding+SI boots for about 75,000 including shipping by UPS(from www.boardzone.com)which is not so bad after all. Tax is only 2400 yen. I have a Japanese friend who checked high and low for me and could not get anything. Could not even find the 168 for the Canyon(only the shorter ones). Shop checked with Burton Japan and they did not have it in stock. So the trick in the end was to find a internet shop that would ship the Burton goods overseas (not many do as they have been stung by numerous credit card frauds). Getting it delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to hit the slopes and try it. It must be quite an enormous change from my ol' faithfull...

Thanks again.

Congratulations on getting what you wanted.

Quote:
Originally posted by SerreChe:

internet shop that would ship the Burton goods overseas (not many do as they have been stung by numerous credit card frauds)

This is a very grey area, but I don't think people who say this are telling the (whole) truth.

I think it's more a case of them or their wholesaler trying to protect their relationship with Burton. If Burton tracks a US retailer selling directly to Japan (they can tell by the serial numbers, if not directly from a website) and undercutting Burton Japan, that retailer/wholesaler will supposedly be cut out of the loop.

It's why all grey imported Burton boards you see in shops have the serial numbers drilled out. In this situation, you get a cheaper board, but Burton Japan supposedly won't help you if the thing delams. Some shops offer their own guarantee, so it's worth asking what their policy is. Obviously the chances of something going wrong with a board are very low, so its not a bad idea to buy one.

If you look at other big overseas online retailers like Rei.com, you'll see there are a number of manufacturers whose gear they can't (i.e., are not allowed to) ship overseas. It doesn't have anything to do with credit cards.

Fattwins thanks for fixing the link.

NoFakie, what you said is really interesting. I was not aware of these aspects before. I just got the board tonight and it has a serial number. I thought it was weird when they told me that they could not any confirmation from my credit card since I never had any problem with it before. So I had to do a wire transfer in the end. The price of the board was fairly uniform accross all internet retailers willing to ship overseas, I found that the real savings was on the boots and bindings. Boardzone had a combo Boots+Bindings for older models which really cheap. Boardzone is affiliated to Burton (they are one of the internet retailers selling their products recommended by Burton on their website) so I do not think that they would be doing anything dodgy that could jeopardize their relation with the manufacturer. Otherwise I noticed that the boots were made in China, the bindings in Italy, the board in austria, and the order was shipped from toronto to Tokyo. We live in a modern world...

No fakie is 200% correct.

I have same deal worked out with my surfboards that they aren't allowed to ship to Japan. My mate got a Trek mountain bike last year but the shop wasn't allowed to ship it to japan due to the same deal.

just protecting the biz here at the end of the day.

serreche, disregard my personal message!

Indosnm,

Yep clearly protecting the home market. It feels a bit unethical and unfair to the customers, but I guess that's life and that's business! It looks like it is a widespread practice.

Otherwise thanks for the private message. If I hear of anybody that might interest I will let you know.

Cheers.