Places to stay in Tokyo with Snow gear

Hi

Does anyone know a good place too stay in Tokyo for about 2 weeks if we are looking to live on the cheap but have snowboard gear and not worry about it getting stolen?

There is going to be three of us looking to share a place.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Thanks

Well one follow up question, do you know if there are any places to stay that offer kitchen/cooking facilities that are secure, as we are over there on a working holiday and i don't want to burn up a lot of money at hotels while in Tokyo...

any recommendations?

I enjoyed staying at Andon Ryokan... modernist designed ryoken.. very slick and comfortable if you like the traditional japanese style of sleeping on the floor. Small rooms though so for your snow gear you'd have to ask if they have somewhere to store it for you.

Good breakfast and free, good quality coffee all day long. A great refuge from the hussle of the city.

Dean,

Are you on the way to or from the snow?

reason for asking is that if on the way towards a ski resort, you can always forward your gear by Takkyubin from the airport to your lodgings. Saves having to lug it around into Tokyo from airport, store it, lug it through railways and busses etc.

They deliver to the door, takes a day or two (longest is to further places, naturally). All you have to do is ask the lodgings to look after it until you get there. PM if you want more details.

Makes touristy stuff in Tokyo etc much, much easier.

• 2 months later...

As per JA, would recommend sending your gear. I found this out after lugging my snowboard and luggage onto and off trains.

Also recommend Andon Ryokan. Myself and my other half stayed there last December. Managed to fit my snowboard bag in the room but was pretty tight, either had to stand it up at an angle, or lay it down next to me when in bed. I think they do have a storage area though but it was full when we were there.

• 2 months later...

Pete,

Have a look at the airport website (I assume NRT) and there will be a map with the location of the Takkyubin. Look for a blackcat & kitten outline in a yellow oval background. I did it last Jan at NRT but cannot remember where they are. If in doubt, ask!

It is best to check with the accom that they are OK to hold your gear for you, and allow a couple of days to get it there. Also helps if the accom will give you the address in Japanese, so it is easy to show the Takkyubin people where to send it.

Come out of customs and turn right, walk down to the very bottom of the hall and you should see the black cat sign or a pelican sign, this is your baby. If not, just ask someone