I just had 2 episoders, one in the post office and one in the bank - both stemming from the fact that I will be away for 32 days.

First one, post office. I have to fill a form in so that they keep my mail while I am away, but the time limit is 30 days. The girl on the counter was very clear in saying that they couldn't do any more, even though it was just 2 days over. To cut the inevitable long story short and after lots of stroking chins and muzukashiis, they decided that I had to fill out two identical forms - one for 30 days and the other for 2 days. They made me feel very bad and guilty.

Next to the bank with the same issue - this time I told them I was expecting 2 payments from overseas. It seems they need to get confirmation from me before they allow the cash to go into the account. No confirmation, no payment coming in. So I told them I was going to be away for 32 days and that there might be some payments and they have my blessing (complete with names of people who were paying and approx. amounts). Of course, they got all flustered and there was this huge fuss. Turns out the bank 'does not use email' and so the only solution to this, other than turning the money away, is them calling me up overseas and me confirming it back by a return call.

Situations like this there is just absolutely no room for flexibility is there? And when the guys are confronted with something that is different the fuss that is caused is just crazy.

Rant over.

With the Postoffice, would it not have been possible to do two forms, each for 16 days? I guess it's the same difference really, but seems better than all that effort for just 2 days.

the bank is a whole other problem. In Oz, the bank doesn't care who DEPOSITS money in whatever account. Just don't try to get it out with out authorisation. I don't understand their problem with depositing, do they think someone might be trying to launder some cash by depositing it in your account? Hope they aren't correct!!

Yes the deposit seems strange!

Holding mail for only 30 days is pretty restrictive too...

Why not have a form that has a box where you write the number of days in - however many you need be it 16, 32 or 75! If they charge you to hold your mail per day or per week who cares!! Customer service is not reallye existant is it?

Actually in the post office they pretty much know my requests so it isn't much of a hassle anymore. If the staff have changed though, it's mass panic. I think they'd rather call the holidaying staff up and drag them in than get a 'newbie' to deal with it.