I was in Kyushu last week on business and we took a quick side trip to Aso whilst there. I was intrigued to see the now rusting lifts on the way down. My companions (neither of whom are from Kyushu) knew nothing about it. I've done some searching and come up with virtually nothing.

Does anyone remember the ski area/lifts on Mount Aso? If so what was the name (Asosan I think) and when/why did it close? Presuming it was a result of the bursting bubble...

That link doesn't look right. Mt Aso is in Kumamoto Pref.

Do they have snow on Aso? I know in Saga Pref (also Kyushu) they have a one-run hill and it basically runs on shaved ice machines.

thats it I believe. Have been to Aso a few times, beautiful area and have seen the ski run area there, but dunno how good it is. Would imagine something like a few of the resorts over on Kyushu, which mainly use man-made snow. Do recommend going down there for the scenery and onsens smile

"ASOSAN, ASOMACHI, KUMAMOTO

DAILY REPORT LAST UPDATED : 30TH JULY 2003, 7PM"

That'd be the one I think. Looks like it closed a lot longer than five years ago though. A lot of the tourist places there were closed and falling apart. Nearly all the tourists up there with us were Korean or Chinese. My colleagues were surprised.

There isn't much in the way of consistent snow in Kyushu, though if you've ever seen the scenic photo books of Aso-san in the winter it looks great. Have been down there a couple of times- it's a short excursion from Kumamoto - and the onsens and mountain scenery are great.