Secluded, relaxing onsen reccomendations

Time to leverage a bit of information from all you in the know Onsen people.

Been particularly busy at work recently and have booked a long weekend coming up, just want to escape into the country side, back end of nowhere type place.

Looking for recommendations for somewhere in the countryside, maybe a spot of easy hiking/ strolling, quiet, fairly accessible as can't be bothered sitting through traffic and so will be taking the train/bus, where I can just completely turn off and relax.....answers on a postcard please! All suggestions appreciated

C.B- Prob staying in the mainland here in Honshu, as it is only the long weekend. Don't mind being on a Shink for say 2 and half hours.

Oyuki-Will look into Bessho sounds good.

Bobby- Want to go somewhere a little more less well known, have been to Nozawa a few times. Beautiful place though, you are right.

Any more for any more?

Not entirely sure what budget you have but we always like to splurge at least a nite or two in full on Onsen Hotel / Ryoken. Some of our favourites have been up past Takayama, and further north near Zao - Sakunami.

I would think that you would be spoilt for choice and any number of resources are available to help you.

Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
Bessho Onsen, near Ueda, Nagano. You can take a train in and walk pretty much everywhere in the village. Nice temples to.

Not a bad shout. Like all established onsen towns, it has a number of concrete industrial ryokan, but its still better than most (Kusatsu, Gero, Noboribetsu, Arima, etc). The thatched temple there is worth a visit in itself, and the one with the big pagoda is pretty nice too.

For "secluded", I reckon you've got to take a car into the boonies.