Reacting to racist remarks made in front of you

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Bring them up on it - make them think about it.
......It shut him up good and proper and I walked out the lesson feeling great - fed up of Brits being perceived as gentlemen and purveyors of honour!

Great that you stuck it to 'im, but you're talking about your students, right?!
Dude, don't bother. For one thing, it's just not your job. For another, no good will come of it anyway.horse
Glad I'm not an Eikaiwa teacher. razz
Ok just got back from teaching the dude - so today's lesson was British History as I thought screw the English and lets get to the nitty gritty

So I asked Tanaka what he thought about British history as he mentioned that he was an Anglophile (yes I know, stupid as it may seem after the last story) and thought that about 200 years ago, the British were kind and very 'gentlemenly'.

I politely asked in what way did he think that the British were kind and to my aghast he said that they were very accepting of racial, and religious miniorites, in the Georgian era. I suggested that he might not know what he was talking about but he insisted that he was right.

So out came the history file - human zoos of foreigners, blacks, asians, freaks and misfits, how public lynchings still happened and the best for last - hwo the British invented the concentration camp.

It shut him up good and proper and I walked out the lesson feeling great - fed up of Brits being perceived as gentlemen and purveyors of honour!

I think he had a point. Of all the colonizers of that time, the Brits were the kindest. (remember what age this was) The reason why they have the best relationships with their former colonies today, compared to the Spanish, Portuguise, and French.

I would afford them a lot more honor if they offered me a cold beer though. cheers
Ok just got back from teaching the dude - so today's lesson was British History as I thought screw the English and lets get to the nitty gritty

So I asked Tanaka what he thought about British history as he mentioned that he was an Anglophile (yes I know, stupid as it may seem after the last story) and thought that about 200 years ago, the British were kind and very 'gentlemenly'.

I politely asked in what way did he think that the British were kind and to my aghast he said that they were very accepting of racial, and religious miniorites, in the Georgian era. I suggested that he might not know what he was talking about but he insisted that he was right.

So out came the history file - human zoos of foreigners, blacks, asians, freaks and misfits, how public lynchings still happened and the best for last - hwo the British invented the concentration camp.

It shut him up good and proper and I walked out the lesson feeling great - fed up of Brits being perceived as gentlemen and purveyors of honour!

mate, please tell me he lives in Fujisawa, I wanna meet him!! I reckon our chats could be interesting!!!! horse

Back to what Ger was saying, I have never seen the "racist" side of coin until I came here. I always thought that Scotland was very accepting of other cultures. To a certain extent its right, as in Scotland the bigots don't care if you are black, white, yellow or purple, rather than they worry if you are black, white, yellow or purple catholic or black, white, yellow or purple protestant. Somehow though its not seen as the same as being racist. doh Crazy I know.

I have often wondered why 1 type of insult is socially acceptable to call people (such as fat, ginger, specky) and yet others are not (such as black, paki, jap, wog etc etc) It seems starnge to me that people who make a big song and dance about one brush off the other like its nothing

Interesting comments thanks.

I agree with lots of them and it's a delicate situation and hard to know exactly what to do/say. We're all going out for a drink this coming week so I may bring it up then in a relaxed and 'fun' atmosphere, as opposed to some serious talk.

Where I work they know that I will - in a very friendly manner - pick them up on stuff like this and discuss it. They may well snigger behind my back, I don't think so, but it is good to talk about these things... but not in a stressed out angry way.