This is my first winter in Hokkaido. I'm living in Kushiro (far south east, about as far from civilization as you can possibly be). Anyone have any experience on the slopes in this area. If possible, I'd like to get out a couple of times a week to places that aren't too far away. Thanks.

Sahoro Resort is closer than Furano.

Less than 200km from Kushiro. A couple of hours by train.

IMO that's the biggest resort you'll find without driving 4+ hours.

[yeah, not a great help, I know ;\) ]

As the weather patterns that bring snow to Japan come from the north west you will find that whilst it is cold in Kushiro to amount of snow is far far less than in the western parts of Hokkaido

most moisture in the air is lost as it travels over the Tokachi range. Furthermore there isnt a lot east of kushiro in terms of mountainous terrain to ski on.... its quite flat really.

Translation: youre out of luck unless you go west from kushiro.

Yeah, thanks for the info. That's basically what the locals told me - lots of ice and cold, not so much snow. The locals usually head off to Furano when they can, but I was hoping there was somewhere even closer. It would be nice to live a short drive from some decent snow. Ahhhh. Too bad.

What am I doing? Well, for the last few days I've been adjusting to having frozen butt cheeks when I stay outside for too long. It's pretty cold. The sad thing is, in about 6 weeks its going to be much, much colder.

You may be better off changing your winter fun to skating. I remember a lot of good skaters are from Kushiro area. Or ice fishing. Eastern Hokkaido is pretty flat, but if you don't mind hike up, Rausu Dake may be OK.

Over the weekend I talked to my mate and he reckons its only 2 hours drive (2 and a half on busy days) to get to Sahoro. He's happy to take me there on my days off. Woo hoo. As for skating, well, I'd like to try hockey, but I don't have any skates and I don't think they stock size 13 at the rental places.