Hello everyone. My name is Brad. My wife and I have recently moved to Japan and we will be here for the next 3 years. I have been out of skiing for a long time but really got back into it last winter while I was in California. Since I spent so much money on rentals, I decided to buy a brand new set of ski's and continue skiing in Japan. Can anyone recommend to me some good places in japan to ski? I am in the Yamaguchi prefecture and I don't mind traveling several hours if I have to. If there is anyone in the area please let me know, I would like to meet up sometime.

RR,

I used to live in Hiroshima for bout 5 years. The best areas out there in western Japan would be Mizuho, which is kinda on the border of Shimane and Hiroshima prefecture. Very nice resort, and probably gets the best snow out that way. It has some decent slopes, small little park to play in (though I dont think they have a halfpipe anymore). Maybe if Bushpig checks this thread he can add more as he just left Hiroshima.

In northern Hiroshima you have the Geihoku region which has Utopia Saioto, Geihoku Kokusai, and tons of other smaller mountains. In that area my preference was Geihoku Kokusai because of the size of the mountain and had a few different runs off the backside which were fun. But, for snow quality, Osorakan has the best snow and is a cool little mountain to play on.

If you go even further out to Tottori prefecture, you have Mt. Daisen, which is the tallest mountain probably west of Kansai. I dont think there is anything taller. Anyways, it is a biger sized resort in the area, gets decent snow too, and has a few decent runs on it.

Out of all the places I mentioned Mizuho, Kokusai (think it might have been renamed??), and Osorakan are the best. Back in the day Osorakan and Daisen were skiers only...dunno bout now as I havent been skiing there in ages.

The worst thing about skiing/boarding out that way are the lines!! 30-45 min line lifts are very real. I have waited longer before too. Crowds there are just unreal and can make things a real pain in the assssssss.

Hope that helps you out some sj

no worries, if you have more Q's just ask. Also, if youre on base I would bet tons of guys there go and can give more current information. Same as if you are teaching. For some great information on Hiroshima google "gethiroshima." Its the best source of info for anything Hiroshima.

Some nice gaijin bars are kembys, molly malones, shack. check out the restaurant/bar guide in gethiroshima thumbsup

Welcome to snow Japan, I have been down to Iwakuni, nice area, shame the snake bridge got damaged by a storm not so long ago, hope they fix it up, then you can see what it looks like, or have they already repaired it.

Anyway you in a good place here for info and making friends.

Have fun!

Originally Posted By: Roadstar_Rider
Hello everyone. My name is Brad. My wife and I have recently moved to Japan and we will be here for the next 3 years. I have been out of skiing for a long time but really got back into it last winter while I was in California. Since I spent so much money on rentals, I decided to buy a brand new set of ski's and continue skiing in Japan. Can anyone recommend to me some good places in japan to ski? I am in the Yamaguchi prefecture and I don't mind traveling several hours if I have to. If there is anyone in the area please let me know, I would like to meet up sometime.