Hanko needed for car / parking space?

I'm getting conflicting views - does anyone know if I have to have a hanko for getting a used car, and registering a parking spot? Some say yes, other say no....

thanks!

I find it really to be random whether you actually need a hanko, or not. Many places expect us to not have them, therefore allow us to just sign instead. Some places, once they know you have one, require you to bring it when you want to do some transaction. I forgot to bring it once to the bank and figured I would be able to just sign. I ask if thats OK before starting and they say sure. Fill in all the paperwork and have signed. They double check the information with the last time I filled it in and saw I used a Hanko - DENIED!!! They told me to go home and get my hanko veryangry Fockers.

There seems to be no rhyme and reason in how they deal with gaijin and hanko. Id just follow FT's advice and go ask.

Probably the best way is to not get one. I think theres only very few occasions where you MUST have one (house loan etc)

Mine is a stupid one with my name in kanji, sometimes they refuse to accept it and make me sign. As you say, theres no rhyme or reason to it, its a dumb system.

Yes, you need one for a car.

I've bought a few cars in different prefectures and needed a hanko with my familiy name in Katakana (now kanji cos it's Japanese after getting married). The hanko has to be registered at the local ward or city office and you have to get a certificate called an "inkan torokusho" (certificate of seal registration) to hand in to whoever you are buying the car off. They give that certificate to the vehicle licensing people.

To buy a car you also need to get parking first. You show the police the parking contract and a map of where the parking is and the police check out your parking space and give you another bit of paper saying they've checked. The car dealer needs that bit of paper for the vehicle registration office too. (Some dealers go to the police and do that bit for you).

Thanks for the info everyone. I have the parking spot sorted, though I may have to re-register at another ward office that's close to the spot, which is an hour plus trip away, so I think it's probably safer to get a hanko for 'just in case'.

I've heard I can (and even 'should') do it in romaji, and I've seen a friend's company hanko with just her first name in romaji, which I'd probably do, though I also heard it does seem to be a case by case thing with the type of hanko they'll accept too (as in what type of script/kana it's in....). I'll register it at my current ward office cos it's closer if there are any hassles with what I come up with.

Yeah FT's "inkan shomesho" is the same thing as the "inkan torokusho" I was talking about, it has lots of abbreviated names. The full name "inkan toroku shomeisho"

I don't think it matters if the hanko is romaji or katakana as long as everything matches. Romaji might be easier for a hanko from that point of view.

Make sure you've got the same name (in the same order i.e not John Alan Smith on one and Smith Alan John on another) on your gaijin card, drivers licence and bank book.

me jane, gaijin card is surname first, bank books are first name first... I still have to get my license changed over to a J license (next week's task), which way is driver's license usually? Still, I think I'll just use my first name, it is after all my 'stage' name.

My whole name is way too long to fit on a hanko, even my first name is too long! biggrin I'll probably make it myself so the easier the better....

Get your driving license the same as your gaijin card, surname first. FT is right on the surname thing. It just keeps things much simpler if you do things as far as possible the same way as Japanese do when it comes to official paperwork issues.

Just realised I don't think I acually know your surname!