I have my flights all booked and now just need to decide on a resort...

Basically we will be spending 7 Nights in one of either Hakuba or Shiga Kogen...

We are two early twenteis high intermediate snowboarders, and the following categories would be determining factors in deciding which resort to go to.. Your help & advice would be appreciated!

- Location of accommodation: We would like to be in a fairly central area, with restaurants, bars & shops close by (we will probably eat out on half of the nights and cook ourselves on half of the nights) As well as being reasonably close (walking distance) to the lifts.

- Ease of access to resorts: Obviosuly the resorts are quite spread out, but which one is more "interlinked" allowing less time on the shuttle bus and more time connecting between resorts via the lifts (ie: Niseko)

- Tree riding: Do both resorts permit tree-riding? Do ski patrol have a fairly relaxed attitude towards it?

- Westen Friendly: We both speak enough Japanese to get us by in Niseko, but will the language barrier be more of an issue here?

- Crowds: Travel dates: 11 Jan - 18 Jan.

- Night Skiing: This would have been a low priority for me before, but after riding down the rinkan course under lights in Niseko with the snow falling and in knee deep powder, at 8pm, with not a single person in sight, it is one of my best memories!!

Do both resorts offer night skiing, and is it on some reasonably decent terrain?

- Lift System: Points would be gained in this category for speed & length of lifts, and the terrian which they access.

I think thats about it - Thanks in advance to anyone who replies! :smiley:

Other than the southern part (Yokoteyama/Kumanoyu), all of Shiga Kogen is interlinked.

You need to do a search, links above

wave.gif

Shiga Kogen Has zero nightlife, no crowds, lots of lifts, limited night skiing, trees are somewhat allowed depending on the area.

Hakuba has better nightlife but it is still growing. no crowds at your planned time, limited night skins, Trees permited at Some resorts.

Night skiing at Niseko is maybe the best in the world besides somewhere back in the eastern US in a snow storm. It costs a fortune to run and invest in those lights. You wont night ski in shiga or hakuba.

Although I have never been to SK and only been to hakuba 47 in late season, the fact that you want nightlife would instantly rule out SK. From what I hear it literally has nothing. Its a place I definitely wanna board though, cos the terrain is expansive, but I would imagine that Hakuba, with the variety of resorts in the area coupled with the relatively decent nightlife, would be your best shout

Here's my opinion

Location of accommodation:

I THINK SK WINS THAT BECAUSE PRETTY MUCH MOST ACCOMM. IS ON OR RIGHT NEXT TO THE SLOPES

Ease of access to resorts:

SHIGA KOGEN JUST NABS THE WIN

Nightlife:

HAKUBA WINS

Lift System:

SHIGA KOGEN WINS

Other things:

Not sure / don't know well enough.

Never been to Shiga. Maybe I'm selling it short but I'll probably go back to Hakuba a few times or Nozawa before checking out Shiga. Anyway, I hear the snow is really good there.

The snow is fantastic there, and yes, you probably are 'selling it short' especially as you have never been there.

I hope Shiga Kogen won't become what Hakuba will/is become/ing. Though I think it is fairly well protected from that.

Originally Posted By: ger
Never been to Shiga. Maybe I'm selling it short but I'll probably go back to Hakuba a few times or Nozawa before checking out Shiga. Anyway, I hear the snow is really good there.

Shiga has the best snow in Japan.

Only went to SK once years ago. Stayed at a pension with my girlfriend and it was great to wake up and look out on the slopes directly. Could ski to the lifts from the pension; this was before I was a boarder and anyway it was banned back then in 95/96?

No nightlife whatsoever and this doesn't seem to have changed much. I would love to go back there cause there is some awesome tree terrain. There was limited night skiing as there is in Hakuba.

If it's your first trip I would say that on balance Hakuba would be the easier option and have all the goods you're looking for.

As you're planning to cook for yourself, you'll need to stay in a self catering lodge, cabin or whatever. I expect Hakuba has a lot more options in this line. SK was a hotel/pensions kind of place when I was there and the only restaurant I can remember was the curry place where we had lunch.

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude

I hope Shiga Kogen won't become what Hakuba will/is become/ing. Though I think it is fairly well protected from that.

How is it protected Iiyamadude-san?