As dirty as a bottom (aka computer keyboards)

Well, as a toilet seat. Computer keyboards, apparently.

My friend sent me this clipping this morning

Another peril can be added to the hazards of the innocent-looking computer keyboard. Not content with encouraging repetitive strain injury, the type-pads sometimes harbour more filth than the average loo seat and house millions of bacteria which can cause diarrhoea and vomiting, a study has shown.

A microbiologist carrying out research published today for Which? Computing magazine examined samples from 33 keyboards and found a variety of bugs including E coli and S aureus, which can cause skin infections and make people ill.

The scientist swabbed a loo seat and a toilet door handle in a typical London office for comparison. One of the keyboards in the experiment had to be removed from the office because it was five times dirtier than the lavatory seat and home to 150 times the acceptable limit of bacteria.

"[it] was increasing the risk of its user becoming ill," said the microbiologist, James Francis. "I haven't seen a reading like that in a very long time - it was off the scale."

Two more of the keyboards had "warning levels" of bacteria, while a further two showed high levels of coliform bacteria, which are associated with fecal matter.

The research showed that the chief culprit for contamination was people eating at their desks and dropping crumbs which lodge between keys and encourage the growth of millions of bacteria.

Other causes included poor personal hygiene, particularly people failing to wash their hands after using the toilet. Dust, which traps moisture, also provides ideal conditions for the growth of bacteria.

"These results are generally typical of offices up and down the country," said Francis.

Sarah Kidner, the editor of Which? Computing, said: "Most people don't give much thought to the grime that builds up on their PC, but if you don't clean your computer, you might as well eat your lunch off the toilet.

"Why not give your PC a spring clean? It's quite simple to do and could prevent your computer from becoming a health hazard."

The survey, in which more 4,000 people were questioned, found that 22% cleaned their keyboard and 27% their monitor on a monthly basis. Just over one in 10 said they never cleaned their keyboard, while 20% said they never cleaned their mouse.

The magazine also warned that headphones can ferry germs between people and transfer headlice.

Which? Computing recommends that computers be shut down and unplugged before being gently dusted with a soft, lint-free cloth and wiped with an approved computer cleaning fluid.

A vacuum cleaner can be used to clean vents, but contrary to internet myth, keyboards should not be put in the dishwasher, the magazine said.

I would question whether it is any worse to eat food after working at a desk without washing.

Whether using a keyboard or not, the office abounds in germs and you should wash your hands before stuffing food in your face. I would caution smokers too, but they are so unconcerned with their health that a few extra germs might just rid us of them, so they don't matter.

What difference with a keyboard? You don't go around licking them, do you? We are breeding a generation of wusses, people who fall ill at the first sight of a germ. Natural resistance to most common germs is built up by low level exposure over the younger years. So, a small amount of germ laden air/keyboarding/etc might actually be good for you, building up a resistance to whole families of infections, and reducing your propensity to catch whatever sickness is in the air.

That's why I carry hand sanitiser when I travel (and often have some in my bag at home too...).

I would rather USE the public internet (unless I bring my own laptop - which is often the case) and then clean up, than find myself being restricted in what I am prepared to do because I am germ phobic.

Obviously - having kids - I think about it....that is why I started using hand sanitiser. But I have got to an age now where germs, and 'what if's' are less of an impedance to just living. Life is too short to wait until a new keyboard is installed at the airport before you will check if you have an email from home!

As for your own computer at work ...ummm...if you are concerned perhaps you can clean it? I give my laptop a bit of a clean ever month or so - if there are annoying fingerprints on the screen that need removal, then may as well give it a full once over!

The PC at Narita last time I went you could SEE the dirt and germs having a party on there. I decided against using it and told the staff people nearby it needed a good clean.

Quote:
Obviously - having kids - I think about it....that is why I started using hand sanitiser.

I wish my youngest hand been using that stuff, before stuffing his pudgy fingers into his mouth and infecting himself with the highly contagious rotavirus, oh well there goes Golden week...sigh