loving the pics mate.

I'd love to try surfing, every time I see pics like that I think,

"right, this year I am DEFINITELY learning to surf"

We'll wait and see if it ever happens though!! lol.gif

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember, they work on Jam Karet. (Rubber Time).

and there are a lot of cultural differences.

You will need to understand what those differences are.

the cultural differences are quite large and they see things a lot differently than we do.

I used to spend most of my time at the warungs just talking all day.

You soon get to know what is going on.

Nice waves..

Welcome to Indonesia with your hassles!! Can send you stir crazy the way they do things. Don't let it get to you though.. or you may end up leaving early. (I'll be ready to move in as a temp!)

A place I stayed at used to have ant problems, so they doused the WOODEN cottages in kero to get rid of the ants! Only in Indo...

Beng bengs looks mighty fun and sessions you get like that by yourselves gotta seal the deal.

we use diesel on the floor to get rid of flies. i now associate the smell of petrol with cleanliness and actually quite like it.

everything is good now. my mate and his indo colleague are back on the island and all the crew have lifted their game. really positive vibes and heaps of great stuff is getting completed.

yeah, jam karet, i'm down with that. i can happily sit around for hours talking, playing dominoes, all that. and i know that we have very different approaches to work. i think everyone just downed tools when the big bosses went back to the mainland.

enough of that thgouh... the surf has been cracking. some nice tubes tonight and am throwing down some icy bintangs. everything is siiiiick and i wouldn't trade places with anybody

How is the Bahasa going Spook. I got a lot more out of my Indo visits when I got better with langauge. Often there was a logical explanation for what was going on (often not) It's a great langauge to pick up. Very easy

yeah mantas you are right.

I did so much better than my mates because I spoke (or tried to speak) the lingo.

Indo is way easy compared to other languages.. and if you get it you won't get skunkt!

The only problem with that Indo is your mates are constantly asking you.

"What did he say" and "Mantas, tell him this......"

lol.gif

I actually did a course early on and just went from there. I remember one day in Timor, I was sitting down with an old guy and having a conversation in Indonesian about his time as a POW and he also told me about the day he saw a huge Japanese squadran fly over head.Two hours later Darwin was bombed.

It was a fascinating insight to his life that I wouldn't have got if I didn't speak Indo.

CB you'll find most waves in Indo are either left or right. Not a great deal of peaks.

Up there in the mentawais they get surf like spooks pics pretty consistently. Alot of perfect 3-8ft waves. Powerful, but due to the distance the swell travels, it's usually picture perfect rather than RAW power like Sth OZ or Hawaii. Over 8ft it changes though...

Id be so happy to ride a wave like that right now, Indo. Thats picture perfect, breaking lovely, nice lip to play on, does it barrel over or just break? Guess that just depends on the (type of reef) break/size factor huh? If I could have waves like that year-round (maybe a bit bigger), then I'd be in heaven. That looks freaking sweeeeeeeet cool.gif

Unless it's really crap with onshore winds then most Indo reefs will throw out crazy pits over razor sharp coral reef that is often as deep as you chin chin may be long!

Those pics are suuuper fun, though from a different angle would have most people shiiting themselves in fear of the reef.

I am off 4WDing to get some waves hopefully in a few days.. sick of job hunting.. spook you need another trench digger???

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Have you spent a bit of time in Indo Ewok?

yup just only a bit, 2 weeks @ airport reef.
wanted to go to nusa dua though.
ah, i think i had your board with me at that time, "manta" grin.gif

>ah, i think i had your board with me at that time, "manta" <

Yeah, I actually invented those years ago as contraceptive implants for elephants but they didn't bloody work (obviously why there are so many elephants running around now).

I threw one away into the ocean and, what do you know, someone used it as a boogy board and the rest is history.

\:\)

I used to surf airports a bit, usually when Kuta reef was too crowded. Kuta reef actually cranks when you get a good swell on it.

Originally Posted By: Ewok 2

Nusa Dua is pretty crap.. I think we've had this convo here before..
2 weeks and no Bukit? OMG confused.gif were you hiding in a cave Ewok!

any of you SA-FA-ZU watching the Billy pro @ Chopes?
 Originally Posted By: Indo
 Originally Posted By: Ewok 2

Nusa Dua is pretty crap.. I think we've had this convo here before..

N is not flat!..?
oops wrong thread whistle.gif
thought i heard that convo somewhere before blush.gif

my friends were doing some "save the ocean" kinda event long time ago, so cleaning and picking up garbages and then yes hiding and escaping..

"Chopes" the bar? my gf and i were not allowed to drink, under age at that time =)

lol blush.gif tahiti chopes!!

thank u mantas and sorry indo, "chopes", first i thought of chups (chupa chups) and then i figured it's a name of some famous bar in bali or something.. my bad..

bukit, i'll remember when i go next time indo wave.gif

Ewok- I think you need to go and read the 45 pages of the 'Surfers' thread. The entire brains trust of SJ surfing is laid out for you. What's not in there is not worth knowing.

wave.gif