Yeah, now eligible for discounted fares?? Have a discount for the January accom at Nozawa on the basis of age (me 'n' me mate are both 60, just, the +1s are a bit behind.) :woohoo:

Originally Posted By: JA
Marbles, What are they?? What do you need them for? I gave up playing marbles in High School. lol.gif ;\)

back when you wrote on chalk boards, teacher's wore mortar boards and being Gay didn't invlove other men in public toilets!! ;\)

Happy B'day JA thumbsup.gif

Actually, chalk boards are reasonably new, PCness required them to be other than black. I first taught with chalk on a blackboard, then tghey painted them all green and renamed them chalkboards.

And, thanks TB - nice dinner, a bottle of good Oz red and a relaxing evening - What more could one want?

Originally Posted By: JA
Actually, chalk boards are reasonably new, PCness required them to be other than black. I first taught with chalk on a blackboard, then tghey painted them all green and renamed them chalkboards.

And, thanks TB - nice dinner, a bottle of good Oz red and a relaxing evening - What more could one want?

I wasn't meaning the blackboard that the teacher writes on, I meant the chalk boards that the students used instead of paper!! lol.gif

I betcha were of the era that you got MILK given out at school though JA. My mother still can not drink milk on it's own - this British tradition was not so wonderful in hot old Perth where the milk had spoiled by the time it was handed out to the kids!!!! BLECK!

Not when I was at school as a kid! (talking country NSW in 50s and 60s) When I taught in the Riverina, the primary kids got free milk, and the milko chucked in a couple of extra bags of white fot the staff morning tea. That was easy until the kids got banana - Have you ever tried banana milk in a cup of coffee?? BLECK is absolutely right!

We used to have a spot in the fridge for the kids milk, so they never got hot milk.

WOW! Different on your side of the great sunburnt land.

My parents are your age. Dad grew up in the UK, but Mum got Milk in bottles in primary school here.

I was at school in the early 70's - 80's, and we NEVER got Milk!! We could do lunch orders and buy milk, but it was no longer part of the governments plan for healthy children and provided free of charge...I reckon that stopped in WA in the 60's.

Started teaching 1972, so that places the free milk time. I was in a central school for 2 years, primary and secondary on the same site and more or less integrated run by the same principal.

After that, I moved to secondary schools, so cannot comoment on later.

Milk used to come in 1/3 pint bottles. It was the State intervention to ensure that children had some nourishment. It abolished rickets. Then tetrapaks came.

Beating children with a cane was standard practice. I was regularly thrashed by authority from 5 until the age when I could look the headmaster in the eye. It didn't help.

Anyone want to take me on?