Another first-rate thread (about pressure cookers)

Yeah, OK, 'pressure cookers' - a little obscure for a snow forum, but here it is:

We just got this pressure cooker and I'm not sure what to use it for. M-chan seems keen on making curries and mabo-dofu and such with it but there must be lots of great uses for it that I'm not aware of.

They're good for anything that generally takes a long time to make properly... good for corned beef, pot-roast/sauerbraten and those kinds of things. If it weren't for microwaves, I'd still use the pressure cooker for potatoes.

Wow, pressure cooker - haven't thought about one of those in years! Mum used to make the best Beef Stew in one.

I tend to use a Slow Cooker/Crock Pot rather than a pressure cooker though.

I can never understand the point of those crock pots made by crueset. What are they good for? I know they go in the oven, but why? Cant you just use a pan on the hob?

Wonder if it has something to do with heat retention? Maybe you can just crank up the heat for an hour, then turn the oven off and let it cook from the remaining heat from there? Just guessing.

I like the way things come out in a plug-in slow cooker, but I really feel the anxiety of having my flat burn down while I'm away if I leave it on all day! When there's no snow out, I can leave it out on the veranda so if it goes up in flames there's only concrete. The meat or chicken for stew or curry comes out amazingly tender in a crock pot.

OK.

Done a search on line and looked at the La Crueset range - there are stock pots, but I can't see any crock pots. The benefit of a stock pot that can go in the oven is that you can stick on on the hob to fry off onions, brown the meat and fry off the spices to give them a better flavour, then you can add veg, stock etc and stick it in the oven to casserole cook.

A Crock Pot or Slow Cooker however is an electric device where the ceramic bowl (with glass lid) sits inside the electric heating device. This cooks the food MUCH slower than an oven or pot (the exact opposite of a pressure cooker actually. The result being amazingly tender meat - especially if it is a cheaper cut! The best bit about crock pots for for working or busy families is that you can turn it on in the morning when you leave for work, and come home to a cooked dinner! In fact that could come in MIGHTY handy on a snow day...stick a nice stew or curry on to cook in the morning, play all day and come home to a yummo hot and tender dinner!

Add: LOL beat me to it Ezorisu - I took too long searching Crueset!!

I was thinking - deep frying and stews, but those can be done on a stove too and I was wondering why we need a pressure cooker. Guess it just turns out better and more tender with a pressure cooker. They should be good for steaming too - genmai or gyoza or just about anything.

Originally Posted By: ger
I was thinking - deep frying and stews, but those can be done on a stove too and I was wondering why we need a pressure cooker. Guess it just turns out better and more tender with a pressure cooker. They should be good for steaming too - genmai or gyoza or just about anything.

I guess a pressure cooker doesn't really do anything that a regular pot would, but it does it in significantly less time, so you can get that slow-cooked taste and instant (or at least quicker than "all day") gratification all at once!
  • 1 year later...

I never got into using ours but my wife is using it almost everyday now since our second child was born three weeks ago. It's easy and there's not much time to cook with two babies at home.