Will be in Naeba this weekend, for what will probably be my last trip for this season - unless there's a welcome late season cold snap to improve matters.

Further to the Now! reports, can someone update on the snow conditions at Tashiro & Mitsumata ? I'm guessing the snow conditions will be better up there than at Naeba itself...

I know it's going to be spring-like, so I am mentally prepared not to expect too much. After a chilly, damp day in Tokyo yesterday, I find it quite hard to believe that there wasn't snow up at 1,500 - 2,000 metres, but it seems to be the case, unfortunately.

It is the case unfortunately. Didn't really get that cold. I think they got a sprinkling, though the people who went there will know better. Expect very spring and hopefully get a little bit surprised! ;\)

• SnowJapan Admin

I haven't been up there for a while, but it is actually quite sunny here in Yuzawa now and looks like the weather should be fine over the weekend. We'll try to speak with the resort and get the Yuzawa Now page updated this evening with the latest.

Thanks very much.

It wasn't a complaint about the Now! coverage, I just wanted a bit more detail from you guys up there - and I suspect I'm not the only one planning to be in the area over the weekend.

One way or another - unless they close the whole place due to the wind - I suppose we'll get some skiing done. Naeba's not as high as Mitsumata/Kagura/Tashiro, is it?

• SnowJapan Admin

No worries, wasn't taken like that skidaisuki. \:\)

Kagura is higher. I'm sure you'll enjoy it there was a bit of new snow, and Kagura will surely be the best snow in the region. It doesn't look like wind will be an issue tomorrow. Hope you enjoy it up there, let us know how it was.

Here's the phone box today by the way on Route 17 to give you an idea of how things are down at town level.

YuzawaNow_793.jpg

Thanks boardbaka & SJ#1...much appreciated, and encouraged! I'll send a report when I'm back.

We'll be at the Naeba Prince tomorrow night but ducked out of paying for dinner. I've been to Naeba and Kagura lots of times (and to Fuji Rock) but never eaten out there.

Any recs for a good izakaya / bar(s) within walking distance of the hotel?

you could try snodeck its about 15mins walk from where you will be back up the valley away from the slopes -near the asagi ski park -find the lift there and its hard to miss- good pizza- actually I'd check with them that its going to be open before you leave if you are considering it - just do web search for snodeck naeba

BB I was looking out for ya but ultimately we failed to meet!!

i had a good day at kagura but the snow is on the slide. Thankfully it was snowing from the top of the Gondola and I spent most of the day on the lift that takes you to the top of the mountain. The snow there, while plentiful, was rather heavy but much better than the sugary/slush further down the mountain. Make sure your skis are well waxed as it can be wet in places. there is still a ton of snow up top on Kagura and the run with all the trees was loadsa fun, I can only imagine what it'd be like on a powder day!!

Well - we went, skiied, relaxed, but unsurprisingly, not exactly epic conditions...

The Naeba Prince - monster hotel, you need sat nav to find your way around in there.

Snodeck - A good rec. Thanks to Lorne and friends for good food and music on Saturday night

Naeba (skiing) - is now truly horrible at the bottom - sugary, mucky slush in most places and the resort staff deserve medals for trying to keep it in some sort of skiiable shape. The only fun was working out where I'd pitched my tent for Fuji Rock last year. Looks a lot less steep to ski on it than sleep on it.

Dragondola - first time to use it...still new and shiny and very impressive, especially the views. Not for those with vertigo

Tashiro - considerably better conditions than Naeba, thankfully. All we need is a cold front, some consistently lower temps and a nice dump to turn back the clock to Late February. Not holding my breath, though.