Well we have had a whole heap of bad news stories this week - so I have a good news story today. Hope it gives you a smile!

I think I have shared with you a little before about my friends daughter who became paralysed by what they think was a virus as a little girl, one day she was running around playing with her sisters, the next she was fighting for her life. End result she ended up in a wheelchair. Her parents have always been brilliant, initially searching for a cure, and then later on resigned to the fact that this was the way it was going to be urging her to not let anything get in her way.

She is a bright, and fit young lady - at 14 yrs old - she has been competing in wheelchair track events as her sport. Well last weekend she was selected on the relay team for Beijing ParaOlympics. She is going to BEIJING!!! We are so excited for her over here. She is the baby of the team, and is mixing it up with gold medalists - training alongside her hero Louise Sauvage. It is just a real good news story!

I sure hope she can medal!

I went to school with a girl who developed something similar. Can't remember the name of the condition but the virus attacked and destroyed the myelin sheath that surrounds each nerve. Without it, nerve impulses can't travel down the nerve, kinda like insulation on a wire. So although there was nothing wrong with the actual sending and receiving of impulses, because this "insulation" wasn't there the nerve was losing the impulse and she couldn't move her lower body. Apparently it can grow back but if it is gonna it will do it within the first 1 or 2 years. After that its permanent. Great to hear she has overcame this setback and done well

People like her are an inspuiration! Every time I think about how "stuffed" things are - a story like that surfaces and I end up wondering what I was concerned about!

As a relatively fit (and rarely sick) 59yo, I have little comprehension of the pain and anguish this kind of thing can cause.

All that remains to be said is - Go Girl!