So, I just got off the phone with a parent of one of my girls in my HR and Eng. class, and she is going to start chemotherapy today cry.gif cry.gif I am in shock and really upset, why does the worst things always happen to the best people? She is so caring, friendly, and has the warmest smile. I couldnt imagine not having her in my classes as she added so much to discussions and the atmosphere. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers that treatment will work and she can recover fully. Thank you.

thanks. I just cant believe her parents aren't telling her whats "actually" going on with her...I hate how in Japan so much stuff is kept secret, or never told because of "losing face." Granted this doesn't have anything to do with that, they said they're more afraid of her "giving up" rather than "fighting" and I gave my "担任" advice to them but obviously they're going to do what they think is best...I just don't get how so much stuff is hidden/never told here...

2 of my students in the hospital right now and 1 is starting to be a 不登校生徒...sucks having to be a shrink.

Very sad, especially when they are just kids. Sending good thoughts for her recovery CB.

I lost a friend in high school to same disease - he was the boyfriend of a very close friend. He survived the initial bout, and was in remission for 5 years, but died in his early 20's. It was a big wake up call for us.

But one of the boys in my 11 yr olds class has been getting treatment for this disease - he is doing really well. Hardly missed school, but he has to be careful with rough and tumble coz of his Hickman line.

I don't get the whole not telling kids things either. I know a lot of parents who tell thier kids total bulldust about lots of stuff because they think they can't handle the truth (Oi that sounded like Jack Nicholson!) - but they can, especially when parents explain it properly and give them positive messages.

Wishing her the best of medical care and a lot of luck to go along with it.

That's really sad CB, hope she comes out the other end OK.

A 19 year old apprentice for one of the companies I work for has got the same thing. It cuts you up do see a young, happy go lucky kid, get that big pile of shit dumped on them.

She is not gone yet.

I wish her the best fighting spirit possible and hope she wrestles that disease into submission/remission.

Thoughts go out to her.

Puts other things/minute troubles we have into perspective.

thanks everybody, talked with her father again yesterday and she is going to have 2 ops on her stomach first before they dive into chemotherapy. Thanks for all the positive words everybody - I really hope she is strong enough to pull through this. Seems she has already lost a few kilos \:\( :sad: I will be going to visit her next week after spring camp. Her father said they are going to tell her whats going on after the first operations. Anybody know any positive reading material I could get her to keep her mind busy? English or Japanese is fine. Was thinking of something like Harry Potter but I dont know what she has read or what movies she has seen...if you have any suggestions for a 9th grade girl please let me know.

Scouser, yes, we lost a teacher this year as well and a student last year. Sucks...