OK. I'm stirring the pot here (though I doubt there any supporters here) and it's probably only rellevent Aussies.

Reverse racism came up again today on another thread, and Pauline Hanson was our reverse racism champion! Slayer of political correctness! Defender of all things good and Aussie!

For those not familiar with the Pauline Hanson story, here is her maiden speech to Federal parliament in 1996. I don't expect you to read it all so here are some juicy snippets.

"We now have a situation where a type of reverse racism is applied to mainstream Australians by those who promote political correctness and those who control the various taxpayer funded "industries" that flourish in our society servicing Aboriginals, multiculturalists and a host of other minority groups. "

"I believe we are in danger of being swamped by Asians."

"This nation is being divided into black and white, and the present system encourages this. I am fed up with being told, "This is our land." Well, where the hell do I go? I was born here, and so were my parents and children. I will work beside anyone and they will be my equal but I draw the line when told I must pay and continue paying for something that happened over 200 years ago. Like most Australians, I worked for my land; no-one gave it to me."

" Of course, I will be called racist but, if I can invite whom I want into my home, then I should have the right to have a say in who comes into my country. A truly multicultural country can never be strong or united. The world is full of failed and tragic examples, ranging from Ireland to Bosnia to Africa and, closer to home, Papua New Guinea. America and Great Britain are currently paying the price."

Those were the days!

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
Please explain?

lol.gif

What have I started!!! whistle.gif

The influx of immigrants into the UK/Ireland has apparently escalated since the borders have been opened from joining the EU. I have a lot of family in the UK and they tell me that there was a lot of immigration pre-EU, but it is nuts since EU.

My personal experiences were that every staff member (well it seemed like it) in every hotel we stayed in through Ireland and in London, was a recent immigrant from Russia or nearby. Recent enough to not speak English - or not MUCH! I have no problem with travelling to other countries and having to learn snippets of other languages to get by - all part of the experience - but there is something wrong when there is NO ENGLISH in a hotel in ENGLAND (Earls Court too!!)!

Back to Aus...I like our multicultural community, but I do believe there are more people out there who agree with Pauline Hanson's diatribe than we would like to believe! There are those who feel threatened by difference, plain and simple.

For me - clearly - Viva la difference!

My father in law is now using east european laborers because they are way cheaper and work way harder than the Brits. Which is really funny because he is the first person to complain about Englands' current state.

The influx of immigrants i don't mind.

But when they get to OZ and say we shouldn't teach & Christmas, Easter and other events at schools.. That's where I get my back up.

In Japan, if you don't like the way they run things, you get told basically to piss off. In Oz they don't have the balls to say that.

I say.. you come to the country and you fit in. You can't change it to suit your beliefs.

end rant.

Not a fan then sunrise?

The one and only political rally that I ever went too was an anti-Pauline Hanson rally, but I grudgingly admit that she did have some relevant points. As Indo said, immigration has never been our problem, it's lack of assimilation that causes the problems. It takes effort on both sides for assimilation to be successful but the onus in definitely on the newcomer.

I have no problem with "for a hypothical example" a Muslim family coming to Australia and keeping thier beliefs and traditions, even builing a Mosque and worshiping with others.

Where I have my issues is the same as Mantas and Indo. Don't outlaw the mention of Christ in Christmas, or the story of the crucifixion from Easter in school just because it might offend an immigrant who hold different beliefs.

When I went to school WAY back in the dark ages, we had "Religion" once a week. The Catholics went to one class, the Methodists to another etc etc - and those who wished to abstain from all religious eduction went to another class with a teacher who let them color in pictures....why can't people who object to it, just remove themselves from the class!

But the better system in my view, is the way my sons' school does it. They celebrate EVERYTHING! Christian traditions, ramadan, Chinese New Year - whatever it is on the calendar, they celebrate it in some way - this is inclusive, and it promotes understsanding and tolerance, and it gives the Christian raised boy a chance to see that he may actually prefer to be Bhuddist and the Muslim raised boy a chance to see that this Christian belief might not be such a bad option for him after all...it gives them choice and freedom.

And more importantly, it models a world where we don't hate each other because of our difference, but instead celebrate difference!

I suppose we are lucky Indo. The boys are at an Anglican Boys school, but the current ethos at the school is inclusion, and boys are not selected based on thier religious affiliations - as is the case in many other private schools in Perth - it is simply first name on the list is in.

We also have an ex-catholic priest turned Anglican priest, AND an Anglican Monk (didn't even know these existed) running the pastoral programme, and they are clearly very forward thinking men, things they set up for the boys are so diverse!!

My 14 yr old is going on a mission to Nepal in the October school holidays to work with Orphans and the poor and spend time with Nepalese Buddhist Monks. Outstanding opportunities to learn and OPEN thier minds to other things than those around them in thier own little corner of the world. Now imagine a world where schools did similar wherever possible....hmmm...I can't see too many Paulines being spawned in that environment!!

It is when the children are taught at home, and at school and by the things they see around them that there is only one way to live that is acceptable and moral, that people get filled with hate and fear for difference.

Ohh boy - rant over - think I need to go and pour me a glass of champers and settle myself down now! LOL Anyone would think I am on a mission to change the world!

My own opinion is that religion (regardless of which one) is never a good thing for an open mind. Pretty much all religions require you to close your mind to true inquisitive, rational thought and accept something, purely on faith. This kind of indoctrination rarely leads to a truly open mind.

I wasn't trying to advocate one religion over another GN. Just making a point that even a church school can be open minded about difference.

Out of my 4 son's there is one that believes in God and practices his faith. My eldest is a staunch non-believer and will argue it to his grave. The 14 yr old doesn't put much stock in religion but likes the idea of chillin' and meditating with monks, and the little guy thinks the whole idea of something 'out there' good or bad is just too scary for words.

As for me - I am thrilled they have all been allowed to explore individually and find a path that they are personally comfortable with. I think raising them to follow thier own choice of path is quite open minded.

Jumping back on to add - you are right that religion and open mindedness and the accepting of difference have not traditionally gone hand in hand. I just don't see why they can't when clearly there are good examples of this harmonious existance out there. Maybe I have a dream for a better more inclusive and peaced out world.

Originally Posted By: Indo
The influx of immigrants i don't mind.
But when they get to OZ and say we shouldn't teach & Christmas, Easter and other events at schools.. That's where I get my back up.
In Japan, if you don't like the way they run things, you get told basically to piss off. In Oz they don't have the balls to say that.

I say.. you come to the country and you fit in. You can't change it to suit your beliefs.

end rant.

Actually Indo, even before the immigrant from different religious backgrounds started kicking up a fuss about all that, there were plenty of Aussies complaining about teaching that stuff in schools. Plenty of that drive to push it out of eduction came from long term aussies, not newly arrived immigrants.
 Originally Posted By: Go Native
My own opinion is that religion (regardless of which one) is never a good thing for an open mind. Pretty much all religions require you to close your mind to true inquisitive, rational thought and accept something, purely on faith. This kind of indoctrination rarely leads to a truly open mind.

I'm with ya GN. I don't think Religion has a place in schools, educating children. If parents want their offspring brought up with certain beliefs then that is what the local priest, vicar, monk, immam, charlatan is for. I think all schools should be secular.

Britains problem isn't with joining the EU, after all Germany and France have been in the EU longer yet don't have the same problem/ policy as Britain does in immigration. Sure all 3 countries signed the EU treaty that decides immigration BUT Germany and France have the balls to say "no more" when it reaches stupid proportions where as our great Leaders in London leave the door unlatched for any Tom, Dick and Harry bludger to come in and make themselves at home. I have no probs with immigration, after all I am living it now in Japan, but to go to a country and sit on your arse and expect the government to pay for everything....good one!! Also I echo the point that immigrants are welcome but its to assimilate into MY culture and not the other way around.